Many times I find myself subconsciously making a meal/dessert/etc. because of external stimuli I have experienced earlier in the week. This time I did not realize where my strong craving for pesto had arisen until I had my first bite of this dish. Unknowingly, I had been craving pesto because the day before we had pasta (NOT gluten free) with a spagetti sauce/pesto combo. Also, I had gawked relentlessly at a photo of pesto pasta on Foodgawker only a few days before. Isn’t it funny how the brain works? You think you are being rather creative with your meal selection, but in actuality, you are just reacting to your surroundings. Nonetheless, this pasta was delicious. Rather simple and quick with enough food to feed about 6 people. (It only lasted 4 servings in our household… Cohl has been running quite a bit lately!) This pasta is a great weeknight meal idea since it makes great leftovers. Hope you enjoy!
Broccoli & Chicken Pesto Pasta
This pasta is a great weeknight meal idea since it makes great leftovers.
- 2 pounds chicken cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 T. + 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. salt divided
- ½ t. pepper
- ½ t. Italian seasonings
- 2 c. broccoli chopped, stems removed
- 1 8- oz. box pasta gluten free, cooked
- 1 6- oz. jar pesto
- 1 8- oz. package fresh mozzarella
- ½ c. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle 3 T. olive oil into a large pan or skillet. Add chicken, salt, pepper and Italian seasonings and cook chicken over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is almost cooked.
- Add 1 T. olive oil and place broccoli into the pan. Continue cooking chicken and broccoli for another 2-4 minutes, or until broccoli turns a bright green.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish combine pasta, chicken/broccoli mix, pesto and fresh mozzarella. Mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of pasta. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let dish sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!