A gluten free carrot cake recipe that is perfect for Spring and Easter. It is loaded with carrots and nuts and topped with a yummy cream cheese frosting.
Do you like Carrot Cake? If you do, then look no further. This gluten free carrot cake is full of 3 cups of carrots, walnuts and a lot of butter and sugary goodness. Did I mention it has an irresistible cream cheese frosting, too?!
My mother-in-love made this cake for the first birthday I celebrated with the Brazil clan. *Yes, my birthday is in December and yes, you can eat carrot cake any time of the year!* I remember it being such a treat because I can literally count on one hand the number of times a cake has been made by someone besides myself in the past 10 years for my birthday. (No complaints here… I normally prefer to make my own birthday cake now that I’m GF!)
This gluten free carrot cake was seriously THE BEST carrot cake I had ever tasted. She made it chock full of carrots, nuts and loads of cinnamon. I. Fell. In. Love.
If you’re in need of a cake for Spring then you’ll definitely want to try this gluten free carrot cake out. It is the perfect addition to your Easter Sunday meal or even for Mother’s Day.
Top it off with a decorative piped carrot and some walnuts along the sides and you’re ready to rock and roll. I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend. Enjoy and God bless!
Classic Carrot Cake
A gluten free carrot cake recipe that is perfect for Spring. It is loaded with carrots and nuts and topped with a yummy cream cheese frosting.
- ½ c. butter
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 1/3 c. white rice flour
- 2/3 c. tapioca starch
- 1 t. xanthan gum
- Or 2 c. all purpose GF/non-GF flour instead of the above 3 ingredients
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 3 c. packed shredded carrots (a little less than 1 lb.)
- 1 c. finely chopped pecans or walnuts plus more for garnishing, if desired
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1-8 oz. package cream cheese
- ½ c. butter softened
- 6 ½ c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. milk
For the Carrot Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, oil and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 1 minute on medium. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix for another 1-2 minutes, until batter is light and slightly frothy.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl combine vanilla, flour, starch, gum, salt, powder, soda and cinnamon. Toss to combine.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well after each addition.
- Add in carrots and nuts. Mix by hand until well incorporated
- Spray 3 9-inch round baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray and pour even amounts of batter into each.
- Bake in preheated oven for 26-30 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from the pan.
- Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
For the Cream Cheese frosting:
- Place butter, cream cheese, and 2 c. powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix until all sugar is combined. Add in 1 more cup of sugar and repeat until the last 1 ½ c. of sugar is being added. Combine the milk with the last 1 ½ c. of sugar and mix frosting until it is smooth and creamy.
- Spread frosting evenly over each layer of cake and on the top and sides. Decorate with nuts and enjoy!