Make clean-up a breeze and whip up these creamy bacon mushroom chicken thighs in one skillet. This healthy chicken dinner recipe is gluten-free, Paleo, dairy-free, and is sure to be a new family favorite!
Crunchy skin… moist chicken… coated in a creamy bacon and mushroom sauce… that is dairy-free, gluten-free, and Paleo?
Nope… you’re not dreaming. This is a real thing. And it’s a really simple thing to prepare.
A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of hosting a few of my best girlfriends at our house for a dinner party.
Everyone pitched in by bringing salads, side dishes, and desserts… and these creamy bacon mushroom chicken thighs were the main course!
It was such a wonderful night full of girl talk, great red wine, and a bit too much food. <<I will definitely be wearing my sweatpants for the next get-together!>>
Do you get together regularly with a group of friends?
Making These Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Thighs
What I absolutely LOVED about serving up these creamy bacon mushroom chicken thighs for a dinner party is how easy they are to prepare.
With only one skillet and minimal prep work, I had this restaurant-worthy main course on the table in under 45 minutes! <–Only 20 minutes of that was hands-on!
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Did you know that these creamy bacon mushroom chicken thighs are not only low-carb, but they are also full of nutrition?
It all comes from the mushrooms!!
- Mushrooms are high in selenium, potassium, and zinc.
- Mushrooms have potential anti-cancer properties.
- Button mushrooms help boost the immune system.
- Mushrooms have a similar anti-oxidant profile as red bell peppers.
Creamy Bacon Mushroom Chicken Thighs
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs*
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. bacon cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 cups button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup almond milk soy or regular milk
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme finely chopped, plus additional for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and chicken thighs, skin-side down.
- Cook chicken for 7-8 minutes per side, or until they become crispy.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Add bacon and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, or until bacon is almost fully cooked.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Toss and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add starch. Whisk to combine.
- Add milk, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken back into the skillet, cover the skillet with a lid, and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 165 °F.
- Serve chicken with sauce over rice, mashed potatoes, or mashed cauliflower and enjoy!
*If you would like to use chicken breasts, you will need to make these changes:
- Only sear the chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes per side before removing from the skillet.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet before adding mushrooms.
- When you cover and simmer the chicken, you will only need to do this for 7-10 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are cooked through.