Raspberries and dark chocolate are a match made in heaven. These muffins are actually lighter-on-the-sugar so you can not feel so guilty about eating one for breakfast! While, yes, there is a little refined sugar in the chocolate chips used, the batter is completely refined sugar free. Honey and applesauce are used to sweeten the muffins while coconut oil is used in place of butter. I love using coconut oil instead of butter in some recipes because it really gives baked goods a wonderful lift to the finished product. In these muffins, especially, you will notice how fluffy and airy they turn out. They truly look like your typical bakery muffins! If you haven’t tried coconut oil out, yet, you have to give it a go. Cohl and I have even started using it as a moisturizer on our face! (Jury is still out on this one.) So go ahead and appease that sweet tooth while keeping your conscience happy with these (almost) guilt-free muffins. Hope you enjoy them!
Also, a new addition to the site I wanted to let you all know about is a new feature added called the YUM button. There is an awesome new website called Yummly where you can search tons of recipes as well as add any recipes you find across the web to your recipe box. On all of the newer recipes on the site you will notice a new button showing up in the upper right corner of the recipe boxes (shown below.) All you have to do is click it and the recipe will automatically be added to your recipe box! How easy is that?! You can check out some of the recipes found here on Gluten Free with L.B. on it’s Yummly Page. Have a Yummly Day 🙂
Dark Chocolate & Raspberry Muffins
Raspberries and dark chocolate are a match made in heaven. These muffins are actually lighter-on-the-sugar so you can not feel so guilty about eating one for breakfast!
- 1 ⅓ c white rice flour
- ⅔ c tapioca starch
- 1 t xanthan gum
- (Or 2 c. all purpose flour instead of the above 3 ingredients)
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ c honey
- ¼ c applesauce unsweetened
- 2 T milk
- ¼ c coconut oil melted
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 1 t vanilla
- ⅔ c raspberries chopped coarsely, fresh
- ½ c dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add in all ingredients, except raspberries and chocolate chips, to the bowl of an electric mixer. Turn mixer on medium and mix for 2 minutes, scraping sides halfway through.
- Add in raspberries and chocolate chips and mix into batter by hand.
- Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners and spray them with PAM cooking spray. Fill each liner ¾ full of batter.
- Cook muffins for 24-27 minutes, or until tops begin to turn golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Enjoy!