Healthy cranberry and orange muffins that are a great gluten-free breakfast recipe!
Sometimes you want to be about 70% healthy with another 30% that just plain tastes good. When making these muffins last week I decided to still use a touch of granulated sugar, along with honey, to ensure they came out with a beautiful texture. Also, since fresh or frozen cranberries (not dried and sweetened) are used in the recipe, I really wanted to balance out their tartness. The muffins were addicting. Not only were they perfectly textured, but the sweetness and tartness complimented each other remarkably. On Day 2 of eating the muffins I decided to butter two halves up and put them in the trusty toaster oven. What resulted was bubbling cranberries oozing out of a muffin with a crunchy, buttery top. Simply heavenly. Hope you enjoy!
Healthier Cranberry Orange Muffins
These cranberry orange muffins are a taste of the holidays.
- ½ c. 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ c. honey
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest from 2 large oranges
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- 1 ¼ c. white rice flour
- ¾ c. tapioca starch
- ½ t. xanthan gum
- Or 2 c. GF/non-GF all purpose flour instead of the above 3 ingredients.
- ¼ c. orange juice fresh
- 2 T. milk or almondmilk
- 1 ½ c. cranberries fresh or previously frozen (keep frozen and not thawed!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter, honey and sugar on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and orange zest and mix for another 30 seconds.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine baking soda, baking powder, salt, rice flour, tapioca starch and xanthan gum. Mix well.
- Alternatively add the dry ingredients into the butter/honey mixture with the orange juice and milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Hand mix in the cranberries. Pay particular attention not to mix so hard that you burst the berries and they color the batter.
- Fill 12 regular-sized muffin cups (with or without liners) and bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes. Enjoy!