An easy and healthy recipe for crispy baked sweet potatoes fries that are BAKED in the oven and not fried! Served with a spicy-sweet sriracha mayo.
During the last two years of living in San Antonio during dental school, I got to enjoy what most would consider “city life.” The house we lived in was quite unique, some might even call it eclectically dilapidated. However, it was a steal of a deal and after all, Cohl and I were newlyweds–any and everything was simply an adventure. One of our favorite weekly activities was getting a group of friends together for what we called “Run Tribe.” Everyone would meet at our place, run anywhere from 3-6 miles, and then go enjoy some of San Antonio’s finest cuisine.
A certain restaurant in San Antonio holds a very special place in my heart. The Cove has a spectacular atmosphere with a huge outdoor space, kids playground and an impressive bar with 30+ Texas beers on tap. The food is to die for and they have tons of gluten-free options on their menu. (Including gluten-free hamburger buns!) If I ever had my way we ended up here on those “Run Tribe” nights.
Yes, the burgers are great, I even love their fish tacos, but what I really crave are their sweet potato fries. They serve them with this incredible sriracha mayo which makes it nearly impossible to stop yourself from eating more! Since we now live in Austin I had to find a way to make these fries at home so I could appease the craving whenever it decides to hit. Do you have a restaurant favorite that you have learned how to make at home? Or maybe there is one that you’d love to have again but haven’t quite figured out how to make it. Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear.
These sweet potato fries are slightly healthier than most considering they are baked in the oven and not fried. A light coating of cornstarch, salt, pepper and paprika give them a bit of crispiness despite the fact that they are not cooked in oil. When preparing these make sure you do not put too much oil on the baking sheet because the more oil you have, the soggier the fries will become. And of course, saving leftovers for the next day will result in a not-so-crispy fry. (But they will still have a great flavor.) Be sure to taste the sriracha mayo as you add the sriracha. A little goes a long way. Start with less and add more as your taste buds allow. Hope you enjoy!
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Sriracha Mayo
A simple recipe for crispy sweet potatoes fries that are BAKED and not fried! Served with a spicy-sweet sriracha mayo.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- After peeling and cutting potatoes, place them in a gallon-sized zip-top bag.
- Pour oil into the bag and shake potatoes to coat completely.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch, salt, pepper, and paprika. Pour half of the mixture into the gallon bag and toss to coat. Pour the remaining mixture in the bag and toss again.
- On two large, rimmed baking sheets drizzle one additional tablespoon of oil on each to prevent the fries from sticking.
- Place the fries on the pan and be sure to not let them overlap. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
For the Sriracha Mayo:
- Combine mayo, sriracha sauce and sugar in a small bowl. Stir to combine completely. Use more/less sriracha depending on your desired level of spice.
- Serve with warm fries and enjoy!