This gluten free s’mores bar recipe has a peanut butter cookie crust, is topped with gooey miniature marshmallows and loads of chocolate chips! These make a wonderful summer or potluck gluten free dessert recipe.
There’s no need to light up the campfire for this s’mores dessert bar!
Summertime is full of outdoor fun, sun and of course… s’mores. However, here in Texas, and most parts of the South, it is normally a little too hot to light a campfire. Instead, why not make a classic dessert in the oven?
These gluten free s’mores bars are full of the traditional ingredients… marshmallows, chocolate, and of course, graham crackers.
Where can you find gluten free graham crackers?
We actually are fortunate enough to be able to locate them in our local grocery stores here in Austin. However, if your store does not carry them (normally found in the gluten free section) be sure to check out these graham crackers or these graham cracker crumbs — both by Kinnikinnick on Amazon. I used the whole graham crackers and crushed them for this recipe. While the actual crackers do not have the exact consistency of normal graham crackers, the flavor is pretty spot on. Once they are crushed and incorporated into the peanut butter cookie crust you won’t be able to tell the difference!
Tips on Cutting these Peanut Butter Gluten Free S’mores Bars
While those ooey, gooey marshmallows make these bars absolutely campfire-worthy, they also prove a bit challenging to cut cleanly. Here are a few tips when cutting these marshmallow-topped bars.
- Make sure bars are at least to room temperature.
- Use a super sharp knife.
- Cut in one clean cut.
- Clean the knife between every cut.
- If you are still having trouble cutting through the bars without a sticky mess, refrigerate the bars for at least 4 hours and attempt cutting again.
*Some links in this post are affiliate links.
What are you doing during the last few weeks of summer?
Have you been on any fun vacations?
Leave a comment below — I would love to hear all about your summer and what gluten free recipes you enjoyed while soaking up the sunshine!
Peanut Butter S’mores Bars
This gluten free s'mores bar recipe has a peanut butter cookie crust, is topped with gooey miniature marshmallows and loads of chocolate chips! These make a wonderful summer or potluck gluten free dessert recipe.
- ¾ c. butter softened
- ½ c. peanut butter creamy
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. milk
- 1 1/3 c. white rice flour
- 2/3 c. tapioca starch
- 1 ¼ t. xanthan gum
- or 2 c. 1 to 1 gluten free flour instead of the above 3 ingredients
- ½ t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ c. gluten free graham crackers crushed
- 1-12 oz. bag chocolate chips
- 4 c. miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter, peanut butter and sugars. Mix on medium-low speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and milk and mix for 1 minute.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl combine white rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda. Toss to combine and then slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add graham cracker crumbs to dough and thoroughly combine.
- In a large, 10 x 15 inch sheet pan, completely coated in non-stick cooking spray, spread peanut butter cookie dough out evenly.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until almost completely done. Spread entire bag of chocolate chips on almost done cookie crust and return to oven for 3 minutes.
- Add marshmallows and return to oven. Place oven on a High broil and broil bars for 2 minutes, paying close attention to them so they do not burn.
- Let bars cool completely before cutting. Be sure to use a sharp knife since the marshmallows will be gooey. If you are having trouble cutting the bars without making a sticky mess, refrigerate for at least 4 hours and then cut. Enjoy!