These red velvet crinkle cookies get coated in powdered sugar for the perfect gluten free Christmas cookie or Valentine’s Day dessert recipe!
Mariah Carey’s voice fills the room with the “All I Want for Christmas is You” lyrics as I sit here cuddled up in my robe writing this post. Have you ever seen a cookie more festive than these red velvet crinkle cookies?!
Because of these cookies I was officially placed on Santa’s naughty list this year. These cookies brought out a selfish side that even I had not had the pleasure of seeing, yet.
Yes, I could have shared some with many of my friends. I could have even brought them to my three sweet nieces and watched their faces light up at their super soft and fluffy texture.
But you know what I did NOT do?! :-O
The holiday season is by far my favorite time of year. Perhaps it is because I am a December baby (December 30th!!), or maybe it is all of the lights, cookies, parties and loved ones gathered. Whatever it is… I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHRISTMAS!!
Can anyone else out there relate?!
What better way to kick off the Christmas season than with big fluffy red velvet cookies coated in a sweet layer of powdered sugar. I mean, don’t these cookies look like they were caught in the perfect winter snowstorm?!
A Tip for these Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies:
Pay attention here… you MUST refrigerate these cookies. If you do not, you WILL end up with super flat and not-so-fluffy cookies. Ideally, refrigerating them for 1-2 hours is best. However, if you must refrigerate them overnight, take them out about 15-20 minutes before you start working with the dough. Otherwise, the dough will be too hard for you to scoop.
What is your favorite cookie to eat at the holidays?
I would love to hear in the comment section below.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
These red velvet crinkle cookies get coated in powdered sugar for the perfect gluten free Christmas cookie or Valentine's Day dessert recipe!
- 1 c white rice flour*
- ½ c tapioca starch*
- 1 tsp xanthan gum*
- ¼ c cocoa powder regular
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c butter room temperature
- ½ c brown sugar packed
- ½ c white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ tbsp red food coloring
- ¾ c powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl combine flour, starch, xanthan gum, cocoa, soda and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, place butter and sugar. Mix on medium speed for one minute.
- Add the egg, vanilla and food coloring. Mix for one minute.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until ingredients are just combined and a smooth dough is formed.
Refrigerate cookie dough for at least 1 hour.
- Once dough has chilled, scoop out a 1 ½ - 2 tablespoon-sized ball of dough. Roll the ball in powdered sugar and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if you like, and enjoy!
*You can also use 1 ½ c. of a one-to-one gluten-free flour blend instead of the rice flour, tapioca starch and xanthan gum.
Want more recipes like these Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies?