Learn how to make Zucchini Noodles with Pesto for a simple, healthy, low-carb, dairy-free, vegan, Whole30, and keto dinner recipe that you can throw together on a busy weeknight!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto + Tomatoes
Nothing says summer more than a big bowl of zucchini noodles that have been lightly cooked, tossed in a vegan avocado pesto sauce, and then topped with fresh tomatoes and pine nuts…
And in under 20 minutes!
With the hot summer temps I often avoid heating up my kitchen by turning on the oven.
That’s why kitchen appliances such as the Vitamix, Cuisinart food processor, and Instant Pot become my best friends, as well as anything that can be whipped up on the stovetop… like this zucchini noodles recipe with pesto sauce!
Just a few days ago I posted this delightfully refreshing, and vegan!, avocado pesto recipe.
Today I’ll be showing you one of the many ways you can use up that vegan pesto… by tossing it with zucchini noodles!
How to Make Zucchini Noodles?
You might be wondering, “How in the world do you make and cook zucchini noodles?”
It’s actually super easy and you can do one of two things when deciding how to make zucchini noodles.
- You can buy this handy-dandy spiralizer and make your own zucchini noodles at home.
- Or, you can purchase zucchini noodles at the grocery store in the refrigerated produce section. (Cece’s Veggie Co. has some available in Texas!)
Making your own zucchini noodles at home is definitely more affordable, but if you’re pressed for time, buying the prepackaged zucchini noodles can be a bit of a lifesaver!
How to Cook Zucchini Noodles with Pesto?
Now that you have learned how to make zucchini noodles, let’s move onto how to cook zucchini noodles.
You actually do not necessary NEED to cook the zucchini noodles in this recipe, but I find that they taste just a little better.
The best way I have found to cook zucchini noodles is to saute them in a ceramic skillet (or any other non-stick skillet) for 3-5 minutes, or until they are done to your desired tenderness.
Just know that the longer you cook them the less firm the zucchini noodles will get!
Putting Together these Zucchini Noodles with Pesto
This zucchini noodles with pesto recipe can come together pretty quickly. Here is my method of preparation to make sure everything is done at a similar time:
- Throw all of your vegan avocado pesto ingredients into your Vitamix or Cuisinart food processor. Cover with saran wrap until ready to use.
- Cut up your cherry tomatoes, toast your pine nuts and cut your zucchini into noodles.
- Cook zucchini noodles and then throw everything together.
- Serve immediately!
This meal is best served immediately, but can also be saved for the next day.
How To Enjoy Your Zucchini Noodles for Lunch
If you would like to take your zucchini noodles with pesto to lunch, and you are using the avocado pesto, be sure to store the zucchini noodles, tomatoes, and vegan pesto sauce separately.
Cover the pesto sauce with saran wrap to prevent any air from hitting it and making the avocado pesto turn brown.
When you are ready to enjoy your zucchini noodles with pesto simply heat up the container of zucchini noodles and tomatoes and toss in the pesto sauce during the last 20-30 seconds and enjoy!
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto Recipe
Learn how to make Zucchini Noodles with Pesto for a simple, healthy, low-carb, dairy-free, vegan, Whole30, and keto dinner recipe that you can throw together for a healthy workday lunch or busy weeknight!
Prepare vegan avocado pesto sauce.
- Cut off ends of zucchini and cut into spaghetti-style noodles using a tabletop spiralizer.
- In a large skillet or sauce pan drizzle olive oil and add zucchini noodles. Saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Add avocado pesto and tomatoes. Continue cooking over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
Serve zucchini noodles with toasted pine nuts and enjoy!
*You can also use regular pesto if you do not have avocado pesto.