One pot mac ‘n cheese with broccoli is a wonderfully easy weeknight dinner recipe. Have a healthy, gluten-free meal on the table in under 30 minutes!
How do you make One Pot Mac ‘n Cheese?
The thought of making gluten-free mac ‘n cheese in one pot seemed a little overwhelming. However, finding the right ratio of ingredients is paramount. The perfect amount of liquid needs to balance the amount of pasta in order to achieve the best results. This is what I learned:
- Start your mac ‘n cheese by making a paste of butter, cornstarch and milk.
- This ensures that you have a thick and creamy sauce at the end.
- Watch the clock!
- Make sure you do not overcook your pasta. As we all know, gluten-free pasta is already rather difficult to cook correctly. Err on the side of undercooking. You can always cook it a little more!
- Lastly, use great cheddar cheese.
- Most of the flavor in this one-pot mac ‘n cheese comes from the cheddar cheese. Buy the good kind (you know, the kind that comes in a block!) Trust me, it will be worth your time.
Hope you enjoy this One Pot Mac ‘n Cheese with Broccoli 🙂
One-Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
One pot mac 'n cheese with broccoli is a wonderfully easy weeknight dinner recipe. Have a healthy, gluten-free meal on the table in under 30 minutes!
- 3 T. butter
- ¼ c. cornstarch
- 1 c. milk almond or soy milk works well, too
- 2 ½ c. chicken broth
- 1 ¼ t. salt
- ½ t. pepper
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- 2 c. broccoli fresh, coarsely chopped
- 2 c. macaroni pasta
- 1 c. cheddar cheese shredded
In a medium-large pot over medium heat, melt butter and then add cornstarch. Whisk constantly for 1 minute.
Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until a thick paste forms.
Add chicken broth ½ cup at a time, whisking between additions. Mix in salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Bring pot ingredients to a boil. Add broccoli and macaroni noodles. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes.
Remove lid, add cheese, stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Want more recipes like this One Pot Mac ‘n Cheese with Broccoli?