Chicken Vegetable Soup is an easy Instant Pot soup recipe that is full of nutritious carrots, celery, zucchini, and squash. The flavors of fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage with a touch of lemon juice make this Instant Pot chicken soup recipe one you will want to make all year round!
We All Need an Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe!
Whether you are a newbie to the Instant Pot scene, or an experienced pro, everyone needs a good chicken vegetable soup that they can whip up in a jiffy.
While this is technically a “recipe”, I want to start by encouraging you to experiment a bit. Don’t have all of the vegetables mentioned? Feel free to substitute with what you have. Can’t find all of the fresh herbs at your grocery store? Swap a few or use dried herbs.
This chicken vegetable soup was made out of necessity one night when I was recovering from a terrible stomach bug. It was still within the first week of coming down with this dreaded 24-hour virus and my stomach was on the fritz.
The fix? A delightful chicken vegetable soup recipe full of nutrition that could be made in the Instant Pot… without a lot of time and attention from me!
Below you will learn how to make chicken vegetable soup, the benefits of the various vegetables, what type of broth or stock to buy, how to thicken up Instant Pot soup (in a healthy way!), and the best way to store and reheat this chicken soup recipe.
How to Make Chicken Vegetable Soup
Chicken vegetable soup is one of those recipes you cannot really mess up. You can make it in the Instant Pot, in a Crock-Pot, or on the stove top. For today’s purposes, we’re pulling out our Instant Pot to give you a little more time away from the kitchen:
- Set your Instant Pot to the sauté function and sauté a bit of oil with diced onions and garlic.
- Add broth or stock and scrape the bottom of the pot.
Cook’s Tip: This step is super important to make sure you do not get a burn error notice on your pressure cooker.
- Layer up all of your vegetables (see below for vegetable details!) in the pot and then place your chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle seasoning ingredients, cover Instant Pot with a lid, and set the pressure valve to sealed.
- Cook Instant Pot chicken vegetable soup for 10 minutes on high pressure and let sit for 5 minutes once done cooking.
- Shred chicken breasts and add starch slurry (read more below!) Serve in a cozy bowl with gluten-free crackers or bread and enjoy!!
Ingredients in Instant Pot Chicken Soup
As mentioned previously, you can swap out many of these ingredients for those you happen to have in your pantry. But these are the ingredients that work extremely well in this healthy chicken soup recipe:
- Chicken breasts – In order to keep the timing the same, make sure you cut any other chicken parts into 4-ounce portions to ensure the best results!
- LOTS of vegetables (onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, squash, and red potatoes!)
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, and sage)
- Feel free to swap these out for dried herbs or a bit of basil or oregano.
- Chicken broth, chicken stock, or bone broth.
Various Vegetables = Maximum Nutrition
One of the best parts about this chicken and vegetable soup is how LOADED with vegetables it is. Here are just a few of the health benefits you will receive when eating a bowl of this soup:
- Carrots – A great source of beta-carotene, fiber, vitamin K, and potassium.
- Zucchini and squash – These vegetables have almost no fat and are full of vitamins B6, C, K, riboflavin, and folate.
- Red potatoes – These potatoes also have no fat or cholesterol and have almost half of your recommended amount of Vitamin C.
Broth or Stock?
When making this chicken vegetable soup recipe it is completely up to you whether you use chicken broth, chicken stock, or bone broth. In any case, make sure you use a low sodium version so you can adjust the amount of salt to your preference.
If using chicken stock, you will most likely have a much richer and more gelatinous soup. However, if you are quick on time, a boxed chicken broth or bone broth will work equally as well with delicious results!
How to Thicken up Instant Pot Chicken Soup
In order to keep this Instant Pot chicken soup extra healthy, it is gluten-free, dairy-free, and Whole30 compliant. But how do we thicken it up without adding a bunch of heavy cream?
A simple solution of warm almond milk (soy or cashew milk work great, too!) and a couple of tablespoons of starch (tapioca or corn starch work well!) get whisked together to form an incredible thickening agent. Simply add it to the soup when it is done cooking in your Instant Pot and voila! A super thick and creamy, comforting soup without the heavy cream.
Store It & Reheat It
This chicken and vegetable soup seriously gets better with time… if you have the patience for it. The flavors somehow meld together even more perfectly if refrigerated for about 24 hours. So if storing for later, or you just have too many leftovers:
- Store in refrigerator by letting the soup come to room temperature uncovered and then transfer it to the refrigerator in a glass or plastic container. Soup will keep well for 3-5 days.
- Store in the freezer after following the directions above and letting the soup refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Store soup in freezer safe plastic containers for up to 3-4 months.
Soup is the absolute BEST when reheated in a pot on the stove. However, if you’re in a hurry simply pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and it will be ready to enjoy!
More Recipes Like this Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup:
Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
Chicken Vegetable Soup is an easy Instant Pot soup recipe that is full of healthy carrots, red potatoes, celery, zucchini, and squash.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 4 stalks celery cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¾ lb. carrots cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 lb. red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 yellow squash cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 lb. chicken breasts cut into 4-oz. portions
- 1 tsp. thyme fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. rosemary fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sage fresh, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 ½ - 2 tsp. salt to taste
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ cup almond milk milk, or cashew milk, warm
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch or corn starch
- ½ lemon juice
- Set Instant Pot to the sauté function and add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure there are no bits or pieces stuck.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, and squash to the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Add chicken breasts on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl whisk together the thyme, rosemary, sage, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add seasoning ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Ensure the pressure release valve is sealed and set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the contents sit for 5 minutes (5 minute NPR) before releasing the pressure valve. Shred the chicken breasts when soup is done cooking.
- While soup is cooking, whisk together the warm milk and starch until smooth. Add starch slurry and lemon juice to soup and stir until well incorporated.
- Serve chicken vegetable soup with gluten-free crackers or bread and enjoy!