Quick and easy Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry recipe that is gluten-free, Paleo, dairy-free, full of vegetables, and lick-your-plate delicious! Learn how to make beef and broccoli sauce that is free of refined sugar and tastes as good as your favorite restaurant’s version!
Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry – A New Weeknight Fave!
While there are quite a few recipes on the site that tend to cause a bit of tension between the hubby and I when it comes to leftovers (like the hugely popular Egg Roll in a Bowl!), this easy beef and broccoli stir fry recipe might be the biggest culprit!!
Cohl is not normally a huge fan of recipes with a lot of meat, and prefers a plate full of veggies over a carnivore’s delight, but this healthy beef and broccoli recipe had him begging for more.
Luckily, it only takes a little bit of prep work and less than 20 minutes of cooking in a wok or saute pan to have this healthy stir-fry on the table.
What Makes This a HEALTHY Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry?
This particular recipe for beef and broccoli is not only easy, but it is also healthy for you.
A few things that make this a healthy stir-fry recipe:
- It is completely free of gluten and grains! (However, you may want to serve it over rice, and then it will just be gluten-free.)
- Refined sugar-free coconut sugar is used.
- It is loaded with vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, and broccoli.
- You can change it and tweak it to add even MORE vegetables or LESS sugar. Totally up to you!
How to Make Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
One of the best aspects of making a stir-fry recipe is that it is SO extremely simple to throw all of the ingredients into a saute pan or wok with a bit of sauce and magically have dinner ready and on the table.
So how do you make this healthy beef and broccoli stir-fry recipe?
- First, you will want to have all of your vegetables prepped, your flank steak cut, and your sauce ingredients out because the beef and broccoli recipe moves sort of quickly once you start cooking!
- Next, you’ll cook up your flank steak in a large pan or wok at a medium-high heat. Once the meat is almost cooked to your desired doneness, remove it from the pan and set it aside on another plate.
- Add a bit more oil to the pan and toss in your veggies. Cook them until they are vibrant and almost cooked to your desired doneness.
- Lastly, add in the beef and broccoli sauce and stir in the magical ingredient to thicken it up. (Take a peek below to see how we thicken up our stir-fry sauce!)
Paleo Beef and Broccoli Sauce
Unlike many stir-fry sauces you get in Chinese or Asian restaurants, this beef and broccoli sauce is gluten-free, soy-free, Paleo, and refined sugar free.
So how do you make this beef and broccoli sauce? There are a few key ingredients that you will need:
- Liquid coconut aminos – if you are not on a strict soy-free or Paleo diet, feel free to substitute gluten-free soy sauce or Tamari.
- Coconut sugar – if you are not avoiding refined sugar, brown sugar will substitute great!
- Ginger and garlic
- Chicken broth or beef broth
- Chili garlic paste or Sriracha sauce
- Toasted sesame oil – make sure to get already toasted!
After you measure out all of your beef and broccoli sauce ingredients simply whisk them together and add to the beef and broccoli stir-fry.
But Wait… How Do I Thicken Up the Stir-Fry Sauce?
One of the easiest and best ways to thicken up a stir-fry sauce is to add what is known as a “starch slurry.”
What exactly is a starch slurry? It’s simply a combination of a liquid and a starch in roughly a 1:1 ratio.
In our case we use a few tablespoons of tapioca or arrowroot starch mixed with broth.
A big key here is to make sure your liquid is warmed up BEFORE adding it to your starch.
This makes is SO much easier for the starch to dissolve into the liquid and give you the perfect starch slurry to thicken up your beef and broccoli stir-fry recipe!
Wok It Out?
Honestly, I am not a huge fan of using a wok and think it takes up WAY too much room in my already crowded kitchen.
If you have one and absolutely love it, by all means… wok it out!
However, if you only have a large saute or frying pan (like this one from Calphalon!) you will still get a perfectly cooked beef and broccoli stir-fry recipe!
Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry Recipe
Quick and easy Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry recipe that is gluten-free, Paleo, dairy-free, full of vegetables, and lick-your-plate delicious!
- 1 lb. flank steak thinly sliced against the grain
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- ½ sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos*
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth divided
- 2 tsp. chili garlic paste
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- Sesame seeds optional
- Green onions optional
- Rice or cauliflower rice optional
- In a large skillet or wok add 1 tablespoon oil and cook flank steak over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove steak from skillet and set aside on a large plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and cook bell peppers, onion, and broccoli over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together coconut aminos*, coconut sugar, ginger, garlic, ⅓ cup broth, chili garlic paste, and sesame oil.
- Add steak and sauce to the skillet with vegetables and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
In a small bowl whisk together remaining 3 tablespoons warm broth and 2 tablespoons tapioca starch. Add slurry water to the skillet to thicken up the sauce.
- Serve beef and broccoli stir-fry over cauliflower rice or regular rice with toasted sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
*Can use gluten-free soy sauce or Tamari if not on a soy-free, Paleo, or Whole30 diet.
**Nutritional information is calculated without rice or cauliflower rice.