Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry is loaded with healthy veggies, chicken, and a delicious stir-fry sauce. You might just want to lick your plate with this gluten-free and low-carb cashew chicken!
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of going to hang out with my awesome sista-in-law. We had a night full of girly gab and painting toenails on the agenda. (My toenails ended up a brilliant shade of red thanks to Marissa’s toenail polish collection). And oh ya… some ah-maaaazing cashew chicken stir-fry was on the menu, too!
When I arrived, Marissa was starting to prepare the cashew chicken. She whipped out a bottle of dry sherry… I was immediately enthralled. Why had I not tried cooking with sherry before? And what exactly is dry sherry?
What is Dry Sherry?
In the recipe below for this cashew chicken stir-fry, you will see that one of the main ingredients is dry sherry. Sherry can come in sweet and dry varieties, as well as everything in-between.
Sherry is a wine that has been fortified with brandy… simply meaning the brandy has been distilled with the wine. Fortunately, there is not too much brandy added and it can still be found in most of your local grocery stores.
*If you cannot find dry sherry you can try substituting it with hard apple cider, dry white wine, or vermouth in equal amounts.
Back to this Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry…
After enjoying a plateful of this flavor-packed cashew chicken stir-fry, and licking it clean, I knew this recipe would have to be re-created in the near future.
I always enjoy any excuse to throw in extra veggies, for both nutritional reasons and appearances sake, so I loaded my version of this cashew chicken stir-fry with broccoli and bell peppers.
A few other veggies you might like to add to this Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry:
- Sliced carrots
- Green beans
- Sweet Onions
- The sky’s the limit!
Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry
Cashew Chicken Stir-Fry is loaded with healthy veggies, chicken, and a delicious stir-fry sauce. It is gluten-free, low-carb and better than takeout!
- 1 ½ lbs chicken cut into thin, 2-inch long slices
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 4 Tsp cornstarch divided
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp ginger crushed
- 1 ½ c bell pepper cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ c broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 c dry sherry
- 1 c roasted cashews chopped
- ¼ c green onions finely chopped
- In a small bowl combine stir-fry sauce ingredients. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a gallon zip-top bag place chicken slices. In a small bowl combine ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Sprinkle over chicken in bag and toss to coat.
- Place a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons olive oil. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Add garlic and ginger. Saute for one minute.
- Add bell pepper and broccoli. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour sherry into pan and scrape the bottom of the pan for any loose pieces. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add stir-fry sauce and stir to combine.
- Sift remaining 2 tablespoons cornstarch into pan and stir to combine. Sauce should begin to thicken.
- Turn off heat and stir in ¾ cup cashews.
- Serve cashew chicken over rice* with remaining cashews and green onions. Enjoy!
*Can also serve with cauliflower rice or by itself for a lower-carb alternative.