Beef Taco Stuffed Avocados are a gluten free, low-carb friendly appetizer or main dish. They are perfect for any party!
Happy (almost) Cinco de Mayo!! Here in the South Cinco de Mayo is a pretty well-known holiday. After all, Austin is only ~80 miles from San Antonio. And who doesn’t love getting to drink margaritas and eat loads of guacamole and tacos?!
To most people when they think of “Mexican food” they think overly cheesy, greasy dishes that are sure to clog up your arteries. However, it doesn’t have to be that way!!
Most Mexican dishes can be slimmed-down pretty easily by removing a good portion of the cheese and using leaner and healthier types of meat. (Like these Beef Taco Stuffed Avocados…)
Most parties I attend I am normally stuck snacking on some corn tortilla chips and whatever dip they happen to have. All of the other appetizers are covered in breading or deep fried to gluten-filled perfection.
If you’re throwing a party soon, or bringing a dish to a potluck dinner, these beef taco stuffed avocados are a wonderfully easy and filling appetizer that fit most people’s diet. (Even ground tofu can be used for vegetarians!)
Using an avocado half as the “taco”, these beef taco stuffed avocados are not only gluten-free, but they are also low-carb friendly.
You can make the beef taco filling the night before and heat it up right before serving on party day.
While it is heating up, slice your avocados and serve.
Hope you enjoy and have a Happy Cinco de Mayo 🙂
Tap stars to rate!
- ½ c . bell pepper , finely diced
- ½ c . sweet onion , finely diced
- ½ t . salt
- 2 T . olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef (can use chicken, turkey or venison)
- ½ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions diced
- 10 small avocados cut in half and pits removed
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet drizzle 2 T. olive oil and saute bell pepper, onion and ½ t. salt over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add ground beef and continue cooking for another 4-6 minutes, or until beef is almost completely cooked.
- In a small bowl toss together the taco seasoning ingredients. Sprinkle over almost cooked ground beef mixture and continue cooking over low-medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in cheese.
- Fill each avocado half with ~2-3 T. ground beef taco mixture. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Tap stars to rate!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.