A gluten-free ground turkey Mexican lasagna with tortillas and full of spices, bell peppers, onions, black beans, and cheese. This taco lasagna is a super easy and healthy kid-friendly weeknight dinner recipe!
Taco Lasagna Recipe to the Rescue
Are you in need of a quick weeknight dinner recipe that can feed a crowd and the kids will enjoy, too!?
Recently we had a very good friend of ours become ill with pneumonia for an extended period of time. Wanting to make her and her family’s life just a little easier for a night, Cohl and I brought over this ground turkey Mexican lasagna to them.
Not only does this Mexican lasagna recipe make enough food for ten generous portions, but it is also full of flavor and a good bit of nutrition!
When Cohl brought up the idea of bringing food to our friends, my mind immediately started racing. It was a pretty busy weekend and I knew I would not have too much time to spend in the kitchen. I went looking in the archives to see what I could find.
This ground turkey Mexican lasagna recipe immediately stood out to me. It is full of lean protein, good-for-you veggies, and incredibly tasty.
This recipe for ground turkey Mexican lasagna has been on the site for a few years, but while making this dish for a friend I decided to update a few things in the recipe.
If you have made it before you will see that the spice mixture is a bit different. I also used a jalapeno pepper instead of a poblano, but either will work great!
How to Evolve this Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna Recipe:
- To decrease the spice level: leave out the jalapeno and cayenne pepper completely.
- To increase the spice level: increase the amount of jalapeno and cayenne pepper or use half salsa and half crushed tomatoes.
- To get a little more flavor: dip the corn tortillas in hot coconut oil before layering them.
- To change up the protein: use ground chicken, beef, venison or tofu.
- To make it a little healthier: decrease the cheese by half and use 8-10 tortillas instead of 12.
This Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna is a Canvas for Toppings!!
- Smother on some guacamole!! (It goes great with everything!)
- Sour cream will help tone down the spice a bit.
- Cilantro will give it an extra layer of flavor.
- Green onions can add a pop of color and a bit of a bite!
Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna
A gluten-free ground turkey Mexican lasagna made with corn tortillas and full of spices, bell peppers, onions, black beans, and cheese. It is a super easy and healthy kid-friendly weeknight dinner recipe!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1 c sweet onion chopped
- 1 ½ lbs turkey lean 93/7
- 1-15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, bell pepper, jalapeno, and onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Add turkey to skillet and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Keep heat on medium and add crushed tomatoes. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes while fixing spice mix.
- Combine spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle into the skillet, stir, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Spray a 2 ½ quart CorningWare dish or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start layering the Mexican lasagna with 1/3 of the turkey meat mixture.
- Next, layer 6 tortillas, 1/3 turkey mixture, ½ can of corn, ½ can of beans, and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, turkey, corn, beans and cheese. Place aluminum foil over baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue cooking in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!