A gluten-free ground turkey Mexican lasagna with tortillas and full of spices, bell peppers, onions, black beans, and cheese. This taco lasagna is one of the best healthy and kid-friendly ground turkey recipes!
Taco Lasagna Recipe to the Rescue
Are you in need of a ground turkey recipe that is easy to make for dinner, can feed a crowd, and the kids will enjoy, too!?
Recently we had a very good friend of ours become ill with pneumonia for an extended period of time. Wanting to make her and her family’s life just a little easier for a night, Cohl and I brought over this easy taco lasagna to them.
Not only does this Mexican lasagna recipe make enough food for ten generous portions, but it is also full of flavor and a good bit of nutrition!
One of My Fave Ground Turkey Recipes
When Cohl brought up the idea of bringing food to our friends, my mind immediately started racing.
It was a pretty busy weekend and I knew I would not have too much time to spend in the kitchen. I went looking in the archives to see what I could find.
This ground turkey Mexican lasagna recipe immediately stood out to me. It is full of lean protein, good-for-you veggies, and is one of the best ground turkey recipes on the site.
This recipe for ground turkey Mexican lasagna has been on the site for a few years, but while making this dish for a friend I decided to update a few things in the recipe.
If you have made it before you will see that the spice mixture is a bit different. I also used a jalapeno pepper instead of a poblano, but either will work great!
How to Evolve this Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna Recipe:
- To decrease the spice level: leave out the jalapeno and cayenne pepper completely.
- To increase the spice level: increase the amount of jalapeno and cayenne pepper or use half salsa and half crushed tomatoes.
- To get a little more flavor: dip the corn tortillas in hot coconut oil before layering them.
- To change up the protein: use ground chicken, beef, venison or tofu.
- To make it a little healthier: decrease the cheese by half and use 8-10 tortillas instead of 12.
This Ground Turkey Recipe is a Canvas for Toppings!!
You can make this taco lasagna recipe even MORE exciting by topping it off with the following:
- Smother on some guacamole!! (It goes great with everything!)
- Sour cream will help tone down the spice a bit.
- Cilantro will give it an extra layer of flavor.
- Green onions can add a pop of color and a bit of a bite!
Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna Recipe
A gluten-free ground turkey Mexican lasagna made with corn tortillas and full of spices, bell peppers, onions, black beans, and cheese. It is a super easy, kid-friendly, and healthy ground turkey recipe!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1 c sweet onion chopped
- 1 ½ lbs turkey lean 93/7
- 1-15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, bell pepper, jalapeno, and onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Add turkey to skillet and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Keep heat on medium and add crushed tomatoes. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes while fixing spice mix.
- Combine spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle into the skillet, stir, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Spray a 2 ½ quart CorningWare dish or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Start layering the Mexican lasagna with 1/3 of the turkey meat mixture.
- Next, layer 6 tortillas, 1/3 turkey mixture, ½ can of corn, ½ can of beans, and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, turkey, corn, beans and cheese. Place aluminum foil over baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue cooking in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!