A gluten-free ground turkey Mexican lasagna with tortillas and full of spices, bell peppers, onions, black beans, and cheese. This taco lasagna is one of the best healthy and kid-friendly ground turkey recipes!
Taco Lasagna Recipe to the Rescue
Are you in need of a ground turkey recipe that is easy to make for dinner, can feed a crowd, and the kids will enjoy, too!?
Recently we had a very good friend of ours become ill with pneumonia for an extended period of time. Wanting to make her and her family’s life just a little easier for a night, Cohl and I brought over this easy taco lasagna to them.
Not only does this Mexican lasagna recipe make enough food for ten generous portions, but it is also full of flavor and a good bit of nutrition!
One of My Fave Ground Turkey Recipes
When Cohl brought up the idea of bringing food to our friends, my mind immediately started racing.
It was a pretty busy weekend and I knew I would not have too much time to spend in the kitchen. I went looking in the archives to see what I could find.
This ground turkey Mexican lasagna recipe immediately stood out to me. It is full of lean protein, good-for-you veggies, and is one of the best ground turkey recipes on the site.
How Do You Make Taco Lasagna?
This recipe for ground turkey Mexican lasagna has been on the site for a few years, but while making this dish for a friend I decided to update a few things in the recipe. If you have made it before you will see that the spice mixture is a bit different. I also used a jalapeno pepper instead of a poblano, but either will work great!
These are the layers you will repeat when making this Taco Lasagna recipe:
- Ground turkey, taco seasoning, and salsa mixture.
- Corn tortillas (a MUST to make this the best Mexican lasagna!)
- Whole kernel corn, canned.
- Black beans, rinsed and drained.
- Cheddar cheese (Monterrey Jack cheese blend or dairy-free cheese works great too!)
- And repeat!
How to Evolve this Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna Recipe:
- To decrease the spice level: leave out the jalapeno and cayenne pepper completely.
- To increase the spice level: increase the amount of jalapeno and cayenne pepper or use half salsa and half crushed tomatoes.
- To get a little more flavor: dip the corn tortillas in hot coconut oil before layering them.
- To change up the protein: use ground chicken, beef, venison or tofu.
- To make it a little healthier: decrease the cheese by half and use 8-10 tortillas instead of 12.
This Ground Turkey Recipe is a Canvas for Toppings!!
You can make this taco lasagna recipe even MORE exciting by topping it off with the following:
- Smother on some guacamole!! (It goes great with everything!)
- Sour cream will help tone down the spice a bit.
- Cilantro will give it an extra layer of flavor.
- Green onions can add a pop of color and a bit of a bite!
Want more Ground Turkey Recipes?
Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna Recipe
A gluten-free ground turkey Mexican lasagna recipe made with corn tortillas and full of spices, bell peppers, onions, black beans, and cheese. It is a super easy, kid-friendly, and healthy ground turkey recipe!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup bell pepper red or green, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
- 1 cup sweet onion finely chopped
- 1 ½ lbs. turkey 93/7
- 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz. can kernel corn drained
- 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese cheddar, or dairy-free
- 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, bell pepper, jalapeno, and onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Add turkey to skillet and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes.
- Keep heat on medium and add crushed tomatoes. Let simmer on low for 5 minutes while fixing spice mix.
- Combine spice mix ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle into the skillet, stir, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Start layering the Mexican lasagna with ⅓ of the turkey meat mixture.
Next, layer 6 tortillas, ⅓ turkey mixture, ½ can of corn, ½ can of beans, and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, turkey, corn, beans and cheese. Place aluminum foil over baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue cooking in the oven for 5 minutes.
Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! See this recipe in Meal Plan #7.