Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars are made gluten-free, dairy-free, and Paleo by starting with an almond flour and coconut flour crust and using pure maple syrup for the sweetener! This pecan pie bars recipe is so easy and secretly healthy for you. It just might become one of your new favorite Thanksgiving, Christmas, or holiday desserts!
Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars for the Hubby
Any time we eat at a restaurant my hubby will always ask, “Do you have anything that is chocolate, on chocolate, on chocolate for dessert?”
This normally evokes a quizzical look from our waiter or waitress. But occasionally, they will say, “No, but we do have something with dark chocolate and pecans!”
Score! If they don’t have dessert with a triple chocolate threat, anything with a combo of chocolate and pecans will win over his heart as well… like these chocolate pecan pie bars!
Pecan pie is a staple at most people’s Thanksgiving or Christmas tables, but have you tried making chocolate pecan pie? Or chocolate pecan pie bars?
The cinnamon-infused filling is perfectly complimented by a subtle chocolate undertone while the creamy filling is balanced by crunchy pecans. AND turning them into chocolate pecan pie BARS makes it quite a bit easier and less time-consuming to make than a traditional pecan pie.
So let’s jump into how to make chocolate pecan pie bars, what ingredients you will need, and the best way to prep ahead and store this pecan pie bars recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars?
Cooking up homemade pecan pie bars is actually rather easy and can even be made healthy with a few simple ingredient swaps.
- First, you will combine your crust ingredients and press them into a 9-inch squash baking dish. (Image 1 below)
Cook’s Tip: Glass and ceramic baking dishes work best in this recipe, but a metal baking pan will work well, too.
- Next, whisk together your pecan pie filling ingredients.
- Third, add your pecans and chocolate chips to the baking dish. (Images 2 and 3 below)
Cook’s Tip: Make sure you get GOOD pecans since they will carry a large amount of the flavor in this pecan pie bars recipe.
- Fourth, pour the pecan pie filling over the chopped pecans and chocolate chips. (Image 4 below)
- Lastly, bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling has become firm in the middle.
How to Tell When Pecan Pie is Done?
Much like pecan pie, pecan pie bars are done when the center is firm when lightly touched and the center does not shake.
Can I Make Regular Pecan Pie Bars?
Yes! You can absolutely leave out the chocolate chips in this recipe and make regular pecan pie bars, instead. Simply substitute ½ cup pecans for the ½ cup chocolate chips and follow the recipe instructions below.
Ingredients in Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Since this pecan pie bars recipe is made gluten-free, dairy-free, and Paleo, there are a few ingredients you may need to purchase specifically for this recipe:
- Almond flour – It is very important to buy blanched, super fine almond flour. Bob’s Red Mill is my go-to and can be found in most grocery stores.
- Coconut flour – Most coconut flours are similar in texture so you can use whatever brand or type you happen to find.
- Starch – While tapioca starch is listed below, you can also use corn starch (if not strictly Paleo) or arrowroot starch with similar results.
- Maple syrup – If using maple syrup, make sure you get pure maple syrup. You can also use honey or agave nectar with similar results, but a slightly different flavor.
- Pecans – Since the pecans are a huge component of the taste and flavor in this chocolate pecan pie bars recipe, splurge for the better pecans!
- Chocolate chips – Enjoy Life has some incredible mini chocolate chips that are dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free. If you are not strictly Paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, or soy-free feel free to use whatever mini chocolate chips you can find.
Does Pecan Pie Need to be Refrigerated?
Since pecan pie bars have an egg-based filling, they need to be stored in the refrigerator within 2 hours of baking. Chocolate pecan pie bars will keep well for up to 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
When ready to serve, simply pull the pecan pie bars out for at least 20 minutes so they come to room temperature. Or, you can heat them up for 10-15 seconds in the microwave.
How to Prep Ahead
These chocolate pecan pie bars are super easy to prep ahead of time for Thanksgiving Day or Christmas. There are two ways you can prepare this dessert recipe early:
- Make the entire recipe, including baking the pecan pie bars, and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before serving.
- Prepare the crust and filling, assemble the pecan pie bars, but do not bake them yet. Store the unbaked pecan pie bars in the refrigerator and bake them the day of serving.
Other Recipes You May Like
Here are a few other dessert recipes on Evolving Table you may like for your Thanksgiving, Christmas, or holiday activities:
- Super Soft Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans
- No Bake Pecan Pie Mini Tarts
- Best Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Homemade Paleo Brownies with Chocolate Chips
- The Best Pecan Pie (No Corn Syrup!)
Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars are made gluten-free, dairy-free, and Paleo by starting with an almond flour and coconut flour crust and using pure maple syrup!
- 1 ¾ cups almond flour blanched, super fine
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil melted
- 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs whisked
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca starch*
- 1 ¾ cups pecans coarsely chopped
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips dark
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium-sized bowl combine almond flour, coconut flour, and 3 tablespoons coconut sugar. Whisk to combine.
Add remaining crust ingredients and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated and mixture starts to stick together.
Press crust into the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. Go up the sides of the dish ½-1 inch.
In the same medium-sized bowl combine all filling ingredients except for the pecans and chocolate chips. Whisk filling until all ingredients are completely combined.
Add pecans and chocolate chips to the baking dish. Pour the filling mixture over the nuts and chips and spread it out evenly in the dish.
Bake pecan pie bars for 35-40 minutes, or until the top starts to bubble.
Let chocolate pecan pie bars sit until cooled to room temperature before cutting. Enjoy!
- You can use agave nectar or honey instead of the pure maple syrup.
- You can also use arrowroot or corn starch instead of the tapioca starch.
Leave a Reply