This is the Best Apple Crisp Recipe that is full of tender baked apples and sprinkled with an old-fashioned oatmeal crisp topping. Learn how to make a healthy, gluten-free dessert that can also easily be made vegan!
Baked Apple Crisp for Fall
Do apples remind you of back to school events and that Fall is just around the corner?
Nothing is more reminiscent of the cooler Fall months than a freshly baked apple crisp.
The aroma of apples baking in the oven with hints of cinnamon and spice alert anyone who enters your home that they are in for a special treat.
And not to mention the beautiful golden color of the caramelized apples and crisp apple crumb topping.
(You might also enjoy this Swedish Apple Pie!)
The BEST Recipe
While claiming that this is the best apple crisp recipe can be risky since I might set your hopes too high…
Not only is this the BEST crisp recipe, but it is secretly made gluten-free and healthy by using refined sugar-free coconut sugar and a gluten-free flour blend.
And bonus, you can even make it vegan if you have some non-meat eaters coming over.
The ingredients for a healthy apple crisp recipe are super easy to find and can be located in your local grocery store.
Below is a list of the ingredients you will need as well as few alterations you can use if you don’t have these items on hand.
- Apples – Well, duh! Read below for what type work best in this dessert recipe.
- Butter – A vegan butter substitute or coconut oil can be used in place of butter if you need this recipe to be dairy-free.
- Sugar – Coconut sugar is used in this recipe to make it refined sugar-free. However, feel free to use regular white sugar instead.
- Lemon Juice – Just a hint of acidity helps to balance the sweetness from the apples.
- Apple Pie Spice – This spice mix tastes best when made at home. It can also be found in your spice aisle and is a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Crisp Topping – Learn more information below to see how you can make a quick and easy apple crisp topping.
An apple crisp or crumb topping is normally made from a combination of butter, flour, and sugar. Sometimes, like in this recipe, nuts or oats are also used.
For the topping:
- Combine butter and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and mix together with a fork or pastry cutter.
- Add flour, old-fashioned oats, coarsely chopped pecans, and cinnamon.
- Cut mixture until all ingredients are well incorporated and a coarse crumb forms.
Best Apples To Use
There are numerous types of apples that will work well in this apple crisp recipe.
Generally you would like to choose a variety that is on the sweeter side and not overly juicy.
Best Apple Varieties to Bake:
- Gala – These were used in the testing of this recipe and can easily be found in your grocery store.
- Fuji – In a different batch, this type was also tested.
- Golden Delicious
Peeling and Slicing
Now that you have your apples selected, it’s time to peel, core, and slice them for this crisp recipe.
- PEEL: You’ll first want to use either a potato peeler or a really sharp knife to peel and remove the skins.
- CORE: Next, cut the flesh of the apple off, leaving the core intact. Discard the apple core.
- SLICE: Thinly slice into 1/4-inch slices. (Learn more about how to cut apples.)
Cook’s Tip: Cutting the apples too thin will result in an overly mushy texture while cutting them too thick will give you undercooked apples.
How to Make
The preparing and assembly of a gluten-free apple crisp recipe is rather simple and easy to do.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat with apples, sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the filling become slightly tender. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice. (Image above.)
- Prepare the topping while the apples are cooking.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and pour apples into the pan. (Image below.)
- Sprinkle crumb topping all over the top. (Image below.)
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and crunchy.
Vegan and Gluten-Free
How do I make a gluten-free apple crisp?
Cook’s Tip: If cooking for a Celiac, make sure you look for certified gluten-free oats as some oats are not naturally gluten-free.
Can I make it vegan?
Yes, you absolutely can make a vegan apple crisp recipe by using a vegan butter substitute in place of the butter.
Serving, Prepping, and Storing
How to Serve?
The best way to serve apple crisp is with a scoop of regular or dairy-free vanilla ice cream or with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Can I prep this ahead of time?
You can prepare this recipe up to 24 hours in advance. It is better to wait until the day of serving to bake it in the oven for the best taste and texture.
Can I store leftover apple crisp?
Any leftovers will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. However, the texture will get slightly mushier and not quite as crisp the longer it is refrigerated.
Other Healthy Fall Dessert Recipes
Best Apple Crisp Recipe | Gluten-Free
This is the Best Apple Crisp Recipe that is full of tender baked apples and sprinkled with an old-fashioned oatmeal apple crisp topping. Learn how to make a healthy, gluten-free apple crisp that can also easily be made vegan!
- 3 lbs. apples peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp. butter or vegan butter substitute
- ½ cup coconut sugar or white sugar
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Apple Crisp Topping:
- 6 Tbsp. butter softened, or vegan butter substitute
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or white sugar
- ⅔ cup flour gluten-free 1-to-1
- ½ cup oats old-fashioned, gluten-free
- ½ cup pecans coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add sliced, peeled, and cored apples, coconut sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until apples become slightly tender.
Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice.
While apples are cooking, add coconut sugar and softened butter to a medium-sized bowl. Using a fork or a pastry cutter mix the ingredients together. Add oats, flour, pecans, and cinnamon and continue cutting them together until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and pour apples into the pan. Sprinkle crumb topping all over the apples.
Bake apple crisp in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and crunchy.
Serve apple crisp with vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream and enjoy!