Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie is made with a mashed cauliflower topping, ground turkey, and fresh herbs for a comforting low-carb ground turkey recipe. It is Whole30 and Ketogenic diet approved and can easily be made into a Paleo shepherd’s pie!
Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie Inspiration
Recently I have discovered my love for mashed cauliflower.
If you add in a bit of butter/oil, some fresh herbs, and tons of roasted garlic, there’s no way you can tell you’re missing potatoes! –> See for yourself with this Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower recipe here.
A few weeks ago we had a bit of a cool front come through and it made me start craving all things Fall.
While most recipes that we make in the Fall are loaded with fat and starch, I wanted to take the classic shepherd’s pie and lighten it up a bit.
Ground Turkey Paleo Recipe
This ground turkey shepherd’s pie is loaded with good-for-you vegetables and is super low in carbs and calories.
One serving of this turkey shepherd’s pie comes in at only 319 calories and 15 net carbs per serving.
Also, you can easily make this ground turkey recipe Paleo by leaving out the peas!
What are the Health Benefits of Cauliflower?
Cauliflower is part of the cruciferous vegetable family (think of broccoli, kale, cabbage).
This delightfully tasty and super transformative vegetable is full of anticancer properties.
Little did you know that with each bite of your ground turkey shepherd’s pie are lowering your risk of colon, prostate, lung and breast cancer!
How can You Evolve this Turkey Shepherd’s Pie?
This ground turkey shepherd’s pie is gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, Ketogenic & Whole30 diet-approved and can easily be made into a Paleo shepherd’s pie. A few ways you can evolve it to make it slightly healthier include:
- Use a 99/1 ground turkey (instead of the suggested 93/7) for a recipe that is lower in fat.
- Leave out the peas for a completely Paleo ground turkey recipe.
- Add more vegetables to the ground turkey layer to increase your antioxidants even more.
Ground Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Ground Turkey Shepherd's Pie is made with a mashed cauliflower topping, ground turkey, and fresh herbs for a comforting low-carb dinner recipe. It is Whole30 and Ketogenic diet approved and can easily be made Paleo!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. carrots finely chopped
- 1 c. bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 c. onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. ground turkey 93/7
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. sage* fresh, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. rosemary* fresh, finely chopped
- ¾ c. green peas**
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ c. chicken broth
- 5 c. cauliflower florets fresh or previously frozen
- ½ c. almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 egg yolk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, carrots, and bell peppers. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes.
- Push vegetables to the side of the skillet and add ground turkey, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook turkey for 8-10 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- Use a meat tenderizer to crumble turkey completely.
Add herbs, peas, tomato paste, and broth. Stir to combine, cover, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil for 10-12 minutes, or until cauliflower becomes tender.
- Drain water and dry cauliflower completely.
- Add cauliflower, almond milk, butter, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 1 clove garlic, and egg yolk into the bowl of a food processor.
- Process for 2-3 minutes, or until cauliflower is completely smooth.
- Spray a 9x9 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and layer the ground turkey/vegetables. Spread the mashed cauliflower on top of the ground turkey.
- Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes. Broil for 5 minutes on Hi.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
*You can interchange fresh thyme for the rosemary or sage.
**Leave out peas if you would like to make this recipe Paleo.
Want more recipes like this Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie?