Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower is a wonderful vegan, ketogenic, low-carb, and Paleo cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe. This cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe will give you super creamy cauliflower that is loaded with garlic flavor and are sure to be a hit at your Christmas, Thanksgiving, or weeknight dinner table.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower for the Cool Weather Win
Wow… it’s already October?! Where did the time go this year?
I tell my husband all of the time how much Q4 (October-December, with a few extra days in September!) is my absolute favorite time of the year.
This time starts with my husbands birthday on September 23rd and ends with my birthday and New Year’s Eve.
The weather (finally!) starts cooling off a bit here in Texas and all things pumpkin spice and comforting start to appear on the table. (Like this mashed cauliflower recipe!)
One downside with these three months of the year is how much unhealthy food seems to surround us.
For some reason, much of our culture tends to associate comfort food with unhealthy food… but it doesn’t have to be that way!
This roasted garlic mashed cauliflower is the perfect example of how eating healthy can also make you feel all warm and cozy inside.
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
Making homemade mashed cauliflower is actually a rather simple process and consists of the following steps:
- Cut a head of cauliflower into florets and boil them in a large pot for 10-12 minutes.
- Dry the cooked cauliflower COMPLETELY. If you leave too much water, the mashed cauliflower will be too runny.
- Add the cauliflower to a large food processor along with any seasoning ingredients. (In this recipe we use fresh herbs and roasted garlic!)
Cook’s Tip: Do NOT use a Vitamix or high-speed blender. You will end up with overly-blended and runny cauliflower mashed potatoes.
- Puree until JUST smooth. Be careful not to over puree or the mashed cauliflower will get too liquidy.
- Optional: reheat the cauliflower mashed potatoes in a pot over medium-low heat. Serve and enjoy!
Regular Mashed Potatoes versus Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
For those of you with super acute taste buds, you may be able to tell the difference between regular mashed potatoes and this roasted garlic mashed cauliflower.
However, those of you with not-so-picky palates will hardly be able to taste the difference. But I can promise you this… your waistline will be able to tell!
Coming in at a mere 111 calories and 3 net carbs per serving… this roasted garlic mashed cauliflower has become a new favorite, Paleo, low-carb, keto and Whole30 side dish in our family.
Health Benefits of Garlic:
Did you know that garlic has been shown to potentially reduce blood pressure, reduce the length of the common cold, and lower cholesterol levels?
It is also shown to be full of antioxidants and anti-cancer compounds.
Roasting garlic brings out these nutritional benefits, makes it easier to digest, and just tastes amazing!
How Can You Evolve this Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower?
This roasted garlic mashed cauliflower is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, Paleo, soy-free and Ketogenic & Whole30 diet-approved. A few ways you can evolve it to make it slightly healthier include:
- Use organic cauliflower.
- Try to buy California-grown garlic instead of Chinese grown.
- Reduce the amount of olive oil used to make it slightly lower-fat.
Want more recipes like this Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower?
Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower | Vegan, Paleo, Keto Side Dish
Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower is a wonderful Paleo, vegan, ketogenic, low-carb, and healthier alternative to mashed potatoes. They are super creamy, loaded with garlic flavor, and are sure to be a hit at your dinner table.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off end of garlic head. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Wrap garlic head tightly in aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until cloves become soft.
- Remove 3-4 garlic cloves by scooping them out with a spoon.
For the Mashed Cauliflower:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cauliflower for 10-12 minutes.
Drain water and place cauliflower on a towel and dry cauliflower completely before proceeding.
In the bowl of a food processor *combine cauliflower, almond milk, 3 tablespoons olive oil, rosemary, thyme, 3-4 roasted garlic cloves, ¾ - 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Puree for 2-3 minutes or until mashed cauliflower is completely smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl every 30-45 seconds to ensure even pureeing.
If mashed cauliflower has cooled too much, return it to the pot and heat it to your desired temperature.
Serve mashed cauliflower with a drizzle of olive oil and a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme and enjoy!
- Do NOT use a Vitamix or high-speed blender. You will end up with overly-blended and runny cauliflower mashed potatoes.