Super Moist Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf is topped with a vegan maple “cream cheese” frosting for the perfect Easter or Spring breakfast, snack or dessert. This vegan carrot cake bread is also gluten free, grain free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
Carrot cake is the quintessential dessert for Easter. After all, isn’t the Easter Bunny’s diet made up primarily of carrots?!
Well, this year the Easter Bunny is in for quite the treat… He/She (does anyone know for sure if the Easter Bunny is a girl or a boy?!) will be getting a big ole’ slice of this super moist vegan carrot cake loaf.
How to Make Flax Seed Eggs for this Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf:
Flax seed eggs?! Is this a foreign concept to a few of you out there? It definitely was for me up until about a week ago.
When making vegan breads, cakes and cookies you will oftentimes find that regular eggs are substituted for flax seed eggs.
The recipe for flax seed eggs is quite simple. For every egg you want to substitute in a recipe simply replace it with 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water. Whisk to combine and then refrigerate for AT LEAST 20 minutes.
TIP: Make sure to let your flax seed eggs set up in the refrigerator!!
During my first attempt at making this vegan carrot cake loaf, I admit… I was SUPER impatient. I wanted my vegan carrot cake loaf and I wanted it an hour ago.
So do you know what happened? I didn’t let the flax seed eggs set up for long enough in the refrigerator. What resulted was a way too soggy, and not-so-fluffy, vegan carrot cake.
Is this Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf Healthy?
I will let you be the judge… Not only is this carrot cake loaf vegan, but it is also gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and free of refined sugars!
- Maple syrup helps to sweeten this carrot cake bread.
- Coconut flour and almond flour give it its’ super moist texture.
- Coconut oil is used in place of butter for a vegan alternative.
- Cashew “cream cheese” frosting tops it off so the entire carrot cake loaf is 100% vegan.
A Few More Pointers When Making this Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf:
- As mentioned previously, be sure to refrigerate your flax seed eggs for AT LEAST 20 minutes.
- Do not overmix the batter!! Mix until JUST combined.
- Raisins will add a very different flavor than chopped nuts. Also, raisins will make the loaf a bit more crumbly while finely chopped nuts will allow the loaf to hold together better.
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper. Trust me, it will make retrieving your loaf SO much easier.
- Let the cashews for the “cream cheese” frosting soak for as close to 1 hour as you can.
- Be patient. The bread will become denser and less crumbly the longer it sits at room temperature undisturbed.
- This vegan carrot cake loaf is best eaten with a fork… much like a delicious piece of carrot cake!
Super Moist Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf
Super Moist Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf is topped with a vegan maple "cream cheese" frosting for the perfect Easter or Spring breakfast, snack or dessert. This vegan carrot cake bread is also gluten free, grain free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
- 4 flax eggs*
- ½ c maple syrup pure
- ⅓ c coconut oil melted
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ c coconut flour
- ¾ c almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ c carrots finely shredded
- ⅓ c coconut finely shredded
- ½ c raisins pecan or walnut pieces
Vegan Maple "Cream Cheese" Frosting:
- ½ c cashews raw, soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup pure
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut oil melted
- Pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flax eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and vinegar. Mix to combine.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl combine coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Toss to combine.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the large bowl of liquid ingredients and stir by hand until just combined. It is OK if there are a few small lumps.
- Lastly, add in carrots, coconut flakes and nuts or raisins. Stir until ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Line a loaf pan (8.5” x 4.5”) with parchment paper and spritz with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until top turns a golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let carrot cake loaf sit at room temperature and cool completely before frosting.
While carrot cake loaf is baking, place all Vegan Maple "Cream Cheese" Frosting ingredients in the bowl of a small food processor.**
- Process until a smooth consistency is reached (4-6 minutes) and scrape down the sides of the processor every 30-60 seconds.
- Set frosting aside until carrot cake loaf is ready to be frosted.
*Mix 4 Tbsp ground flax seeds and ¾ c water together and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using.
**I used a 3-cup Mini-Prep food processor. You can also use a larger food processor, but you will need to scrape the sides more frequently than stated above.
Want more recipes like this Super Moist Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf?