Continuing the theme from our Christmas party we held a few weeks ago, here is one of the lighter dishes that was served. Not only were these appetizers SUPER simple to make, they were also absolutely irresistible. At first I was a bit hesitant, thinking there would be too much basil:cheese/tomato ratio. However, it was nicely balanced. These Caprese Bites quickly brought me back to the wonderful backpacking trip Cohl and I took to Europe two summer’s ago. You have never had a Caprese salad until you have had a Caprese salad at a streetside cafe in Rome, Italy. The fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes are hard to beat. But since we do not get to enjoy those Italian delicacies on a regular basis, I’m perfectly content settling for the ingredients found at my local grocery store. And did I mention how awesomely Christmas-ey these appetizers are?! I mean… vibrant red, green, and white already found in mother nature! I can’t imagine throwing another Christmas shindig without these bad boys on the table. Hope you enjoy!
These cares salad bites make great appetizers.
- 1-16 oz. carton of cherry tomatoes
- 1-12 oz. tub of fresh mozzarella balls
- 30-40 fresh basil leaves
- Aged Balsamic Vinegar of choice
- Place one end of a basil leaf onto the tip of a toothpick. Slide a tomato and then a mozzarella ball onto the same toothpick.
- Wrap the other end of the basil leaf around and hook it onto the opposite side of the toothpick to make a “hammock.” Do this with the remaining ingredients until you run out.
- After plating the caprese bites, drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar of choice. Enjoy!