It’s time to use up all of those delicious summer squash growing in your garden by whipping up a batch of these Healthy Zucchini Muffins! Not only are these zucchini muffins bursting with fresh lemon flavor, but they are also gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo, refined sugar-free, and can easily be made vegan!
Summer = Gardens + Zucchini Muffins!!
For the past few years, Cohl has grown a beautiful summer garden for us. He totally has the green thumb while mine is more of a brown thumb!
Since we live in Texas and our summers can get pretty toasty (and very dry!) he decided to forgo the summer garden and wait it out until winter. I don’t blame him a bit, but man do I miss all of the fresh summer produce!
In addition to an abundance of cherry tomatoes, summer squash always seemed to flourish in our summer gardens. Oftentimes we had zucchini growing out of our ears and were scrounging about looking for new recipes to try.
Last week I posted this Sauteed Zucchini & Squash recipe which is one of our go-tos for using up summer squash, as well as this Healthy Summer Squash Casserole. However, if you’re tired of the savory recipes, you’ve got to stay tuned for these Healthy Zucchini Muffins! (YES… healthy!)
How are these Healthy Zucchini Muffins?
I do not say “healthy” zucchini muffins here loosely. These totally are good-for-you muffins that you can actually eat for breakfast!
So what exactly makes these zucchini muffins healthy? They are:
- Grain-free. Almond flour and tapioca starch replace the wheat flour.
- Refined-sugar free. Maple syrup and coconut sugar replace the refined white sugar.
- Dairy-free. Coconut oil is used in place of butter.
- Loaded with nutrition. Almond flour adds extra Vitamin E and Magnesium while the zucchini bumps up the Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- And they can easily be made vegan!!
How Do You Make Shredded Zucchini?
One of the key steps in making these healthy zucchini muffins is shredding the zucchini and then dabbing the excess liquid that is released.
So how do you make shredded zucchini?
The easiest way I have found to do this, and the least dangerous to your fingers!, is to use a food processor with the shredding attachment.
If you’re brave and don’t happen to have a food processor you can always use a cheese grater. But please, be careful!
How Can You Evolve these Healthy Zucchini Muffins?
While these lemon zucchini muffins are already gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo, vegetarian, dairy-free, and refined sugar free, there are a few ways you can change them up:
- Want to make them vegan? Simply use 2 flax eggs in place of the regular eggs.
- Not a fan of lemon? Lime juice and zest will work great in these healthy zucchini muffins, too.
- Don’t have any almond butter? Feel free to use peanut or cashew butter in place of the almond butter. (Just note, they won’t be Paleo if peanut butter is used!)
Healthy Lemon Zucchini Muffins | Paleo, Gluten Free
It's time to use up all of those delicious summer squash growing in your garden by whipping up a batch of these Healthy Zucchini Muffins! Not only are these zucchini muffins bursting with fresh lemon flavor, but they are also gluten-free, grain-free, Paleo, refined sugar-free, and can easily be made vegan!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a food processor, finely grate the zucchini. Measure out 2 cups. Squeeze all of the excess water out of the zucchini. (You will end up with a little over 1 cup of grated zucchini once water is squeezed out.)
- In a large bowl combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, syrup, almond butter, and oil. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl combine starch, almond flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Next, add lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Line a regular-sized muffin tray with cupcake liners. Spray liners with non-stick cooking spray and fill to 3/4 full. Top each with 1 teaspoon sliced almonds.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick when inserted in comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!