Use up all of your summer squash in this super easy and healthy summer squash casserole. Made with yellow squash and zucchini squash, this recipe is a quick side dish for any meal
A few weeks ago Cohl started coming home with enormous grocery bags FULL of summer vegetables. A local dentist has a summer garden and likes to bring his extra produce to Cohl’s office.
There is absolutely nothing better than fresh, homegrown peppers, tomatoes and summer squash!! Do any of you have a summer garden growing right now?
One week Cohl came home and the bag was packed to the brim with yellow summer squash and zucchini. It would be a sin to let them all go bad, so I had to brainstorm what I could do with all of that great produce.
Squash casserole has always been one of my favorite summertime side dishes. This time I wanted to try to make a version of a healthy summer squash casserole that was still simple to make.
Healthy Summer Squash Casserole Ingredients:
Sure, the cheesy and cream-laden squash casseroles taste ah-maaazing, but let’s be real… all of that dairy takes away the incredible flavor of the fresh summer squash!
The ingredients for this healthy summer squash casserole are pretty simple. You probably have most of them in your kitchen already!
- Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (duh!)
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs –> these are my fave gluten-free breadcrumbs!
Want to Make this Healthy Summer Squash Casserole Ahead of Time?
You totally can!
- Simply prepare the recipe until it is time to bake it.
- Wrap the baking dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate up to 2 days until you are ready to eat.
- Let the casserole come to room temperature and pick up on the recipe where you left off!
Healthy Summer Squash Casserole
Use up all of your summer squash in this super easy and healthy summer squash casserole. Made with yellow squash and zucchini squash, this recipe is a quick side dish for any meal.
- 2 lbs summer squash zucchini and yellow squash, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese* grated
- ⅓ cup Panko breadcrumbs gluten-free
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut yellow squash and zucchini into thin, ¼-inch slices.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Alternatively, overlap the zucchini and squash in a row. (See pictures.) You should be able to form 4 rows.**
- Drizzle olive oil over the zucchini and squash and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Toss to combine and then sprinkle over the zucchini and squash.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and turn heat to a High broil. Broil for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until breadcrumb topping starts to turn a golden brown.
- Serve immediately with fresh parsley and enjoy!
*Can use a vegan Parmesan cheese substitute.
**I like to get small-medium, similarly-sized summer squash so they will be able to fit into four rows easily!
Want more recipes like this Healthy Summer Squash Casserole?