The holiday season is just around the corner, and this healthy Mexican breakfast casserole is sure to keep away the morning hangry. It’s gluten-free and kid-friendly!
It seems like it has been forever, but only a few months ago Hurricane Harvey hit Texas.
This catastrophic event affected numerous cities across the Texas Gulf Coast…
Including my hometown of Orange, TX and my husband’s hometown of Katy, TX.
The weekend following hurricane Harvey, Cohl and I went to Katy to see what we could do to help.
I had heard that a lot of people were in need of food, and that many grocery stores were not well stocked, so I loaded up my car with a ton of groceries to do what I do best… cook.
While Cohl and his parents went to help one of their employees rip out carpet, sheetrock and prepare their house for a remodel, I got to work cooking up 10 of these healthy Mexican breakfast casseroles.
I had originally prepared to make dinners for people affected by the hurricane, but we were informed that breakfast items were needed the most.
So I took my ingredients I had purchased, originally to make my favorite Ground Turkey Mexican Lasagna, and converted it into this incredibly easy and healthy Mexican breakfast casserole.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
This healthy Mexican breakfast casserole can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
You can either bake it all of the way through and reheat when ready to eat, or refrigerate it just before baking and add 5 to 10 minutes to the total bake time.
Whether you are making this healthy Mexican breakfast casserole for a loved one who is hurting, or your family and friends on Christmas morning, you can be sure that almost everyone will want to go back for seconds!
How Can You Evolve this Healthy Mexican Breakfast Casserole?
There are so many ways you can adapt this Healthy Mexican Breakfast Casserole to suit your dietary needs. A couple of ways you can do this include:
- Use dairy-free cheese in place of the cheddar cheese.
- Add more veggies to bump up the antioxidants.
- Decrease the amount of cheese overall to reduce the amount of fat per serving.
- Use grass-fed organic eggs.
- Use chicken sausage and turkey to avoid red meat.
Healthy Mexican Breakfast Casserole
Healthy Mexican breakfast casserole is so easy to prepare the night before and is a gluten-free and kid-friendly breakfast recipe!
- 2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- ¾ cup bell peppers
- ¾ cup onions finely
- 1 tsp. salt divided
- ¾ tsp. pepper divided
- ½ lb. ground sausage regular
- ½ lb. ground beef or turkey 93/7
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning gluten-free
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup canned sweet corn drained
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 12 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk almond or soy milk
- 8 corn tortillas cut into quarters
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add butter, onions, and peppers to a large skillet and saute for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add ground sausage and beef. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Use a potato masher to crumble the meat.
- Add taco seasoning, ½ t. salt and ¼ t. pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl combine salsa, corn, and black beans. Stir to combine.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer half of the meat mixture, half of the salsa/corn mixture, 16 tortilla quarters, and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat all layers except for the last cheese layer.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, ¼ c. milk, ½ t. salt and ¼ t. pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over the layers and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until middle stops jiggling.
- Serve with cilantro, green onions, avocados and extra salsa.