Honey Roasted Carrots are baked in the oven with fresh herbs until they’re golden, glazed, and tender. Whole carrots are cut into thin strips so the delicious honey sauce coats every single bit of them. This simple side dish recipe makes a wonderful gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan vegetable to prepare for a weeknight dinner, Easter lunch, or other special holiday meal.
Honey Roasted Carrots Recipe
Coming up with a side dish to eat for dinner can sometimes be overwhelming.
As much as we try to get creative, we all have our go-to recipes we make on a weekly basis.
Sometimes all it takes is a twist on an old classic to really up your side-dish game. Like in this honey roasted carrots recipe!
Unlike these Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots and these Instant Pot Glazed Carrots that are made with brown sugar, this roasted carrots recipe uses just a touch of honey and a bunch of fresh herbs for its flavor.
Fresh herbs such as rosemary and thyme are a great way to add tons of flavor without loading up the dish with extra calories.
Lastly, roasting carrots in the oven gives them a perfectly crisp exterior, tender middle, and helps to bring out their natural sweetness.
Getting excited about roasting your vegetables now? Be sure to check out this Honey Oven Roasted Broccoli recipe for a bit more side-dishpiration!
One of the best things about this roasted carrots recipe is how simple and versatile the ingredients are:
- Carrots – Whole carrots that have been cut into slices are used in this recipe. However, you can slo use whole carrots instead. Just make sure you increase the cook time accordingly.
- Oil – Olive oil was used when testing this recipe but avocado oil may also be used.
- Honey – Feel free to substitute with pure maple syrup or agave nectar to make this recipe vegan.
- Fresh herbs – A combination of fresh rosemary and thyme are used. Parsley is then sprinkled on just before serving.
Whole or Cut Carrots
As you’ll see in the recipe card below, it’s recommended to cut whole carrots into thin strips approximately 3-4 inches long and 1/2-inch wide.
The easiest way to do this is to quarter the carrots. To do this:
- Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler. (This is not necessary, but gives them a better texture once roasted.)
- Cut and remove the stem end from the carrot.
- Cut the carrot in half widthwise.
- Cut the two halves in half lengthwise.
- And then cut these pieces in half lengthwise again.
Cook’s Tip: You can use whole carrots in this recipe instead of cut, but you will have to increase the roasting time in order to ensure the carrots are fully cooked through. You can also use carrots that have been cut into ½-inch round pieces.
How to Roast Carrots
Once you’ve whisked together the honey and herb sauce and tossed the carrots in it, it’s time to roast them up in the oven.
How Long to Roast Carrots:
- Place all of the carrots on a large baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Roast cut carrots in a 400 degree oven for 24-28 minutes.
- Roast whole carrots in a 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes. (Like in this Roasted Rainbow Carrots recipe.)
Feel free to adjust the time in the oven to get your carrots to your desired tenderness.
While this recipe is already gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free, Paleo, and low-carb, there are a few ways you can change it up:
- Use maple syrup or agave nectar instead of honey for a vegan variation.
- Substitute liquid stevia for the honey if on a strictly keto or Whole30 diet.
- Use whatever herbs you have on hand! Rosemary is by far the best, but dried thyme, basil, and oregano all work wonderfully.
- Add in some spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg or even cumin and garlic powder!
Pro Tips and Tricks
- Avoid using the bag of baby carrots as these have less flavor than whole carrots.
- Your cook time will vary depending on whether you’re using whole or cut carrots.
- Peeling carrots is optional but it does give them a better texture.
- Change up the flavors by using a different sweetener or experimenting with other herbs and spices.
- A sprinkle of fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, thyme, or cilantro, gives this dish a beautiful pop of color before serving!
Make it a Meal
These honey roasted carrots would pair wonderfully with these main dishes:
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Filet Mignon Recipe
- Honey Mustard Baked Chicken
- Blackened Salmon Recipe
- Honey Balsamic Chicken
Tap stars to rate!
- 2 lbs. carrots peeled and cut into ¼-inch x 3-inch long pieces
- 2 Tbsp. oil olive or avocado
- 2 Tbsp. honey*
- ½ tsp. rosemary fresh, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. thyme fresh, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt to taste
- Parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine oil, honey, herbs, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place carrots in a large bowl and add honey-herb sauce. Toss until well combined.
- Bake in preheated oven for 24-28 minutes. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Tap stars to rate!
- Use maple syrup or agave nectar to make this recipe vegan.
- Feel free to substitute with ¼ teaspoon dried herbs instead of the fresh.
- If using whole carrots, cook them at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.