When you’re craving Chinese food but want to keep it healthy you can always turn to this Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry! This sesame chicken recipe is a gluten-free, grain-free, refined-sugar free, and Paleo dinner recipe the whole family will love!
Making Healthy Honey Sesame Chicken at Home!
A little while back my hubby met his cousin at a Chinese restaurant across the street from his office. Neither of them were able to finish their dishes, so he brought a little bit of them home.
Cohl got a pretty healthy and lean chicken stir-fry dish while his younger cousin splurged for the sesame chicken. It was SO good! But just a little too good.
As I took a few bites of the Chinese sesame chicken I could tell that it was laden with sugar and deep-fried in not-so-good oils. But man were the flavors incredible!
Not being able to get this sesame chicken off of the brain for a few days, I decided to whip up a healthy honey sesame chicken recipe. After a few batches of recipe testing, the gluten-free and grain-free version you will find below was born!
So to answer your burning question… Yes! You can absolutely make a healthy sesame chicken recipe at home without loading up on too many calories! And this is how:
How to Make Sesame Chicken?
Making honey sesame chicken at home is actually pretty easy if you follow these steps:
- First, you will sprinkle your cut up chicken cubes with starch of some kind. (Tapioca, Cornstarch, and Arrowroot work great!)
- Next you will coat your chicken. As you will see in the honey sesame chicken recipe below, I used two different bowls in order to coat the chicken properly:
- Bowl #1: An egg-milk mixture. This bowl is super important and helps the crispy exterior adhere to the chicken cubes.
- Bowl #2: More starch and seasonings. This helps give the sesame chicken it’s crisp!
- If you would like to make the chicken and broccoli stir-fry recipe, you will first steam your broccoli until almost crisp and then set aside.
- For the chicken, you can use either avocado oil or olive oil, but just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet or wok. Cook your chicken cubes for 6-8 minutes, flipping only a few times, or until the sesame chicken is cooked through.
- While your chicken is cooking, you will whisk together your sesame chicken sauce ingredients. For this honey sesame chicken recipe our sauce ingredients include:
- Once chicken is done cooking, add sauce and broccoli, let the chicken and broccoli stir-fry heat up, and serve over cauliflower or regular rice and top with toasted sesame seeds!
Is Sesame Chicken Healthy?
What a good question! If you are getting sesame chicken from a Chinese restaurant, chances are it is going to be pretty unhealthy.
Most Chinese restaurants deep-fry their sesame chicken that has already been coated in a pretty heavy batter.
Also, if you are Celiac or on a gluten-free diet, make sure you do not eat the sesame chicken! Chinese restaurant’s sesame chicken is not only coated in a gluten-laden batter, but it is also tossed in a sauce that contains gluten.
So if you want healthy sesame chicken, go ahead and whip up the honey sesame chicken recipe below!
How to Stir-Fry Chicken and Broccoli?
Turning this honey sesame chicken into a chicken and broccoli stir-fry is not necessary, but a great way to boost your intake of vegetables!
Personally, I do not feel you need a fancy wok or any other expensive equipment to make a chicken broccoli stir-fry recipe.
Just grab your biggest pan or skillet, fill it with just enough oil to coat the bottom, and keep your heat to at least a medium-medium high heat!
Making stir-fry recipes are so much fun because you get to use ONE skillet and clean up is normally a breeze!
How Can You Evolve this Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry?
A few ways you can change up this already gluten-free and healthy sesame chicken recipe include:
- Use liquid coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and serve over cauliflower rice to make it Paleo.
- Feel free to swap out maple syrup or agave nectar for the honey.
- Add a little more or a little less chili garlic paste.
- Toss in more veggies. Carrots and peppers would be great in this stir-fry recipe, too!
Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
When you're craving Chinese food but want to keep it healthy you can always turn to this Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry! This sesame chicken recipe is a gluten-free, grain-free, refined-sugar free, and Paleo dinner recipe!
- Sprinkle chicken cubes with 1 tablespoon tapioca starch.
- Combine egg and milk in a medium-sized shallow bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a separate shallow bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add chicken cubes in batches to the egg-milk mixture and then dip in tapioca starch bowl. Repeat with all chicken cubes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil, broccoli, salt, and water. Cover and let steam for 7-9 minutes. Remove broccoli from pan once it is done cooking.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons oil and coated chicken cubes to the large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together the honey sesame sauce ingredients. Add sauce to chicken and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli back into the skillet until heated through.
- Serve honey sesame chicken over rice or cauliflower rice and top with toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
*Avocado oil works great since it can be safely heated to a higher temperature than olive oil.