When you’re craving Chinese food but want to keep it healthy you can always turn to this Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry! This sesame chicken recipe is a gluten-free, grain-free, refined-sugar free, and Paleo dinner recipe the whole family will love!
Making Healthy Honey Sesame Chicken at Home!
A little while back my hubby met his cousin at a Chinese restaurant across the street from his office. Neither of them were able to finish their dishes, so he brought a little bit of them home.
Cohl got a pretty healthy and lean chicken stir-fry dish while his younger cousin splurged for the sesame chicken. It was SO good! But just a little too good.
As I took a few bites of the Chinese sesame chicken I could tell that it was laden with sugar and deep-fried in not-so-good oils. But man were the flavors incredible!
Not being able to get this sesame chicken off of the brain for a few days, I decided to whip up a healthy honey sesame chicken recipe. After a few batches of recipe testing, the gluten-free and grain-free version you will find below was born!
So to answer your burning question… Yes! You can absolutely make a healthy sesame chicken recipe at home without loading up on too many calories! And this is how:
How to Make Sesame Chicken?
Making honey sesame chicken at home is actually pretty easy if you follow these steps:
- First, you will sprinkle your cut up chicken cubes with starch of some kind. (Tapioca, Cornstarch, and Arrowroot work great!)
- Next you will coat your chicken. As you will see in the honey sesame chicken recipe below, I used two different bowls in order to coat the chicken properly:
- Bowl #1: An egg-milk mixture. This bowl is super important and helps the crispy exterior adhere to the chicken cubes.
- Bowl #2: More starch and seasonings. This helps give the sesame chicken it’s crisp!
- If you would like to make the chicken and broccoli stir-fry recipe, you will first steam your broccoli until almost crisp and then set aside.
- For the chicken, you can use either avocado oil or olive oil, but just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet or wok. Cook your chicken cubes for 6-8 minutes, flipping only a few times, or until the sesame chicken is cooked through.
- While your chicken is cooking, you will whisk together your sesame chicken sauce ingredients. For this honey sesame chicken recipe our sauce ingredients include:
- Once chicken is done cooking, add sauce and broccoli, let the chicken and broccoli stir-fry heat up, and serve over cauliflower or regular rice and top with toasted sesame seeds!
Is Sesame Chicken Healthy?
What a good question! If you are getting sesame chicken from a Chinese restaurant, chances are it is going to be pretty unhealthy.
Most Chinese restaurants deep-fry their sesame chicken that has already been coated in a pretty heavy batter.
Also, if you are Celiac or on a gluten-free diet, make sure you do not eat the sesame chicken! Chinese restaurant’s sesame chicken is not only coated in a gluten-laden batter, but it is also tossed in a sauce that contains gluten.
So if you want healthy sesame chicken, go ahead and whip up the honey sesame chicken recipe below!
How to Stir-Fry Chicken and Broccoli?
Turning this honey sesame chicken into a chicken and broccoli stir-fry is not necessary, but a great way to boost your intake of vegetables!
Personally, I do not feel you need a fancy wok or any other expensive equipment to make a chicken broccoli stir-fry recipe.
Just grab your biggest pan or skillet, fill it with just enough oil to coat the bottom, and keep your heat to at least a medium-medium high heat!
Making stir-fry recipes are so much fun because you get to use ONE skillet and clean up is normally a breeze!
How Can You Evolve this Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry?
A few ways you can change up this already gluten-free and healthy sesame chicken recipe include:
- Use liquid coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and serve over cauliflower rice to make it Paleo.
- Feel free to swap out maple syrup or agave nectar for the honey.
- Add a little more or a little less chili garlic paste.
- Toss in more veggies. Carrots and peppers would be great in this stir-fry recipe, too!
Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
When you're craving Chinese food but want to keep it healthy you can always turn to this Honey Sesame Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry! This sesame chicken recipe is a gluten-free, grain-free, refined-sugar free, and Paleo dinner recipe!
- Sprinkle chicken cubes with 1 tablespoon tapioca starch.
- Combine egg and milk in a medium-sized shallow bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a separate shallow bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add chicken cubes in batches to the egg-milk mixture and then dip in tapioca starch bowl. Repeat with all chicken cubes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil, broccoli, salt, and water. Cover and let steam for 7-9 minutes. Remove broccoli from pan once it is done cooking.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons oil and coated chicken cubes to the large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together the honey sesame sauce ingredients. Add sauce to chicken and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli back into the skillet until heated through.
Serve honey sesame chicken over rice or cauliflower rice and top with toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy! See this recipe in Healthy Meal Plan #1
*Avocado oil works great since it can be safely heated to a higher temperature than olive oil.