Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder is a quick and easy gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian and vegan soup recipe that is full of flavor! This healthy soup recipe can be ready-to-eat in under 30 minutes!
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder and Fall Weather!
The colder months are upon us!! And so are all things cozy sweaters, plaid shirts, pumpkin spice, and Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder!
OK, is that just me?
Or do you also think of snuggling up to a big bowl of corn chowder and watching the rain come down during a Fall shower?
Instead of laboring away over the stove and missing out on all of the cool front magic, you can throw all of your potato corn chowder recipe ingredients into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and relax!
You’ll have your comforting bowl of soup ready for you to devour in under 30 minutes!
Is Potato Corn Chowder Vegan and Dairy-Free?
Potato corn chowder and corn chowder recipes are generally made with heavy cream, milk and sometimes bacon and bacon fat.
So if you are avoiding dairy or meat products, you might want to skip the restaurant potato corn chowder and make your own at home.
In this Instant Pot potato corn chowder recipe we use almond milk instead of heavy cream and olive oil in place of butter or bacon fat to make this recipe dairy-free, vegetarian, and vegan.
Feel free to swap out cashew milk or soy milk in place of the almond milk and avocado oil in place of the olive oil.
If you are not vegan or dairy-free, you can also use heavy cream or milk, too!
How to Make Potato Corn Chowder with Frozen Corn?
There are two big reasons why this vegan corn chowder recipe can be ready in under 30 minutes:
- It is made in an Instant Pot – All of the tender potatoes without the hours of wait time!
- Frozen corn is used instead of fresh corn in this corn chowder recipe.
If you are a big stickler on using fresh ingredients, you can always use fresh corn instead of frozen corn.
However, I find the amount of time you save by simply opening up a bag of frozen corn versus making a mess cutting up ears of corn in your kitchen is worth the slight difference in freshness.
How to Thicken Corn Chowder?
If you follow the recipe and use almond milk instead of heavy cream you might find that the initial potato corn chowder consistency is a little less chowder-like and more soup-like when you first open up your Instant Pot.
But wait!… I have got a simple trick for you to help thicken up this vegan corn chowder recipe!
Have you ever made slurry water? It is the most miraculous thing that will help you thicken up just about any soup, stew, or stir-fry.
The best way to thicken corn chowder is to whisk together a cup of warm almond milk and a few tablespoons of tapioca, arrowroot, or cornstarch.
Once your milk-starch slurry is smooth and well combined, add it into the Instant Pot with the rest of your potato corn chowder ingredients and voila! Perfectly thickened vegan corn chowder without the heavy cream!
Can You Freeze Corn Chowder?
Yes, yes, and absolutely yes! You can absolutely freeze this potato corn chowder recipe and save it for another rainy day!
The best container to freeze soups, chowders, and stews are large, plastic containers like these.
Simply fill the container as close to the top as you can, refrigerate it and then freeze it for 3-6 months.
When you are ready to enjoy your frozen corn chowder, thaw it in the refrigerator and then reheat it as you normally would.
Can You Make this Potato Corn Chowder in the Crock-Pot?
Yes! You can actually make this potato corn chowder recipe in your Crock-Pot or slow cooker pretty easily.
Simply follow the directions outlined below and saute your vegetables in a separate skillet first.
Add all of the corn chowder ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 hours.
Whisk together your milk-starch slurry and add during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
You should have a delicious slow cooker corn chowder recipe ready to go!
Want more recipes like this Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder?
Tap stars to rate!
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder | Vegan
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 ¼ lb. red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots cut into ½-inch cubes
- 16- oz. bag frozen corn
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- ½ tsp. thyme dried
- ½ tsp. rosemary dried
- 1 ¼ tsp. salt to taste
- ½ tsp. pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 1 cup almond milk warm
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- Green onions or chives optional
- See this recipe in Healthy Meal Plan #3
- Set 6-quart Instant Pot to the sauté function and add oil, diced onion, and crushed garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, corn, broth, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and paprika. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure no bits or pieces are stuck.
- Cover Instant Pot with lid, ensure the pressure release valve is set to sealed, and turn on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot is done cooking the chowder, let chowder sit in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes. (5 minute Natural Pressure release.)
- While chowder is sitting, whisk together warmed almond milk and 3 tablespoons tapioca starch in a medium-sized bowl until smooth.
- Turn Instant Pot on the sauté function and add milk-starch mixture. Stir for 4-5 minutes or until chowder has reached your desired thickness. If chowder is too thick, add more almond milk or broth.
- Serve potato corn chowder with chives or scallions and enjoy! See this recipe in Healthy Meal Plan #3
Tap stars to rate!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.