These stuffed zucchinis with taco filling are super light, low-carb and make an excellent lunch or dinner recipe for a busy week! Substitute ground tofu for the meat, and these stuffed zucchini tacos can easily be made vegan and vegetarian!
Zucchini… stuffed with taco goodness?! Need I say more? One of our coworkers brought the most delicious looking stuffed zucchinis to work twice over the past few weeks, and the second time I had to cave in and ask her how she made them. They seemed simple enough so I ran to the grocery store after work and picked up all of the necessary ingredients to make some tasty stuffed zucchinis with taco filling.
One of our coworkers brought the most delicious looking stuffed zucchinis to work twice over the past few weeks, and the second time I had to cave in and ask her how she made them. They seemed simple enough so I ran to the grocery store after work and picked up all of the necessary ingredients to make some tasty stuffed zucchinis with taco filling.
Following her instructions pretty closely (with a few adaptations here and there), I was thrilled to find they not only looked heavenly but tasted superb! These stuffed zucchinis with taco filling are very healthy for you. Since there is no tortilla surround the filling they are extremely low-carb. Even those these zucchinis are super healthy, they are deceptively filling. Just two of them will fill up even the hungriest of men (i.e. my hubby!)
Here are some variations that you can try for the Stuffed Zucchinis with Taco Filling:
- Use ground venison, turkey, chicken or even tofu instead of the beef.
- Pick leaner meats for an even lighter and healthy recipe
- If you want your zucchini filling to be a little spicier, try adding roasted jalapenos to the taco filling.
- Don’t like cheese or have a lactose intolerance? Substitute it for dairy-free or vegan cheese!
DID YOU MAKE THESE STUFFED ZUCCHINIS WITH TACO FILLING?
I would love to know!! Tag a picture @glutenfreewithlb and #glutenfreewithlb
or leave a comment below ????
Stuffed Zucchinis with Taco Filling
These stuffed zucchinis with taco filling are super light, low-carb and make an excellent lunch or dinner recipe for a busy week!
- 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, venison, or ground tofu for vegan*)
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 c mixed cheeses* divided (Cheddar, Colby Jack, Mozzarella, or vegan cheese)
- 4-5 zucchinis ends cut off, cut in half lengthwise and insides scooped out
- Green onions chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sauté bell pepper, onion, ½ t. salt and ¼ t. pepper in butter for 3-5 minutes over medium heat in a large pan.
- Combine seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
Add ground meat, or tufu, and continue cooking for an additional 7-10 minutes.
- When meat is almost done cooking, drain liquid from pan and add seasoning ingredients. Continue cooking until meat is completely cooked through.
- Turn off heat and mix in 1 ½ c. mixed cheeses.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place zucchini boats on it (cut-side up).
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil and sprinkle salt on the inside of each boat, for seasoning.
- Scoop even amounts of meat mixture into the 8-10 zucchini boats.
- Cover boats with a sheet of aluminum foil and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue cooking an additional 10-15 minutes, or until zucchinis are completely cooked.
- Top each boat with about a tablespoon of cheese and return to oven for 1-2 more minutes to melt cheese. Serve with chopped onions and enjoy!
*This recipe can easily be made vegan. Simply substitute 1 lb. of ground tofu for the meat and use your favorite vegan cheese blend!
Want a few more quick and easy gluten-free dinner recipes like these Stuffed Zucchinis with Taco Filling?