Enjoy a big bowl of roasted butternut squash soup that is made with coconut milk and other Whole 30, vegan, and Paleo-friendly ingredients. This vegan butternut squash soup makes a wonderful main dish, appetizer, or side dish recipe.
How Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Helps a Cold
Even right now as I type these words, I am craving a bowl of this nutritious roasted butternut squash soup.
For some reason, my body decided to trick me last week and it felt like I was coming down with a cold.
I got the usual tickle in my throat, extreme fatigue for a day, a slight cough, and then…. nothing.
Jump forward exactly a week later and I feel like my head is about to explode from all of the pressure that my congestion is causing.
My poor husband probably tossed and turned as much as I did last night as we repeatedly awoke to the sound of my violent cough throughout the night.
Is anyone else out there dealing with a cold, too, right now?!
While getting a cold is not the end of the world, it certainly does make you appreciate the majority of days that you are healthy.
Can this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Help Fight a Cold?
Normally I am diligent with dosing up on Vitamin C at the first signs of coming down with a cold.
And guess what… a bowl of this Paleo butternut squash soup has over 50% of the recommended Vitamin C that you need!
Not to mention, this roasted butternut squash soup is full of fresh ginger, garlic, and cinnamon.
- Ginger: it is anti-inflammatory and will help ease a sore throat. It also has the potential to kill rhinovirus before it rears its’ ugly head!
- Garlic: has special components, Allicin and Allion, which contain antiviral and antibacterial properties.
- Cinnamon: contains anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting properties.
Even if you are not coming down with a cold, or know someone who is, this roasted butternut squash soup still tastes absolutely incredible.
Full of flavor,
And ultra savory.
You just might feel like you have been transported to the most elegant log cabin in the wintry mountains when you are enjoying a bowl of this soup! <– Can you tell I am a dreamer?!
How Can You Evolve this Paleo Butternut Squash Soup?
While this butternut squash soup is already super nutritious, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, Paleo and Whole 30 recipe, there are still a few things you can do to make it a tad bit healthier:
- Use lite coconut milk instead of full fat. (<– I tried it both ways and it is incredible! Make sure to use a little less broth, though.)
- Add a bit more garlic, ginger, and cinnamon to boost your antioxidant levels.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
Enjoy a big bowl of roasted butternut squash soup that is made with coconut milk and other Whole 30, vegan, and Paleo-friendly ingredients. It makes a wonderful main dish, appetizer, or side dish recipe.
- 1 large butternut squash cut in half, seeds removed
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt on the inside of both halves of the butternut squash.
- Place squash face-down on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until squash is tender.
For the Soup:
- In a medium skillet combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and onion. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger. Continue cooking over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add salt, cayenne, cinnamon, coconut milk, and broth. Stir to combine ingredients. Cover skillet with a lid, reduce heat to low, and let ingredients simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove as much flesh as you can and discard the skin.
- Add half of the squash and half of the coconut milk mixture to the bowl of a large food processor. Process for 2-3 minutes, or until contents are completely smooth. Pour soup into a large pot over low heat.
- Repeat above step with the remaining squash and coconut milk mixture.
- Stir ingredients in the pot to ensure even mixing. Serve soup immediately with a drizzle of coconut milk and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
*You can use Lite coconut milk instead of full-fat, but be sure to only use 1 cup of broth initially. **Feel free to use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth if you are not vegan.
Want more recipes likes this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup?