A healthy Cauliflower Soup recipe that is ultra creamy, loaded with cauliflower, and can easily be made vegan, and dairy-free. This easy cream of cauliflower soup requires no roasting of cauliflower and can be made in only one pot for a quick and delicious healthy soup recipe!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup to Warm You Up!
The hubby and I first enjoyed a bowl full of the inspiration behind this healthy cauliflower soup recipe when we were vacationing in Nashville for New Year’s Eve in 2015. Like many of the other recipes here on Evolving Table that were inspired by a restaurant’s dish, i.e. this Zuppa Toscana Soup or this Cream of Asparagus Soup, I quickly got to work recreating it as soon as I got home.
To be honest, I was not planning on posting yet ANOTHER soup recipe here on the site for this winter 2018-2019 season. But when I ended up making this cream of cauliflower soup…
but FOUR times over the Christmas break… I knew I needed to share it with you!
(And not to mention, I sent a snapshot of my scribbled down recipe to the hubby’s grandmother and mom after they insisted they could not wait for this post to go live!)
So without further ado, let’s dive into how to make cauliflower soup, what ingredients you will need, the best way to make it creamy, does this soup reheat and freeze well, what to serve with cauliflower soup, and if you can make this cauliflower soup vegan or dairy-free.
How to Make Cauliflower Soup
Making a quick, easy, and healthy cauliflower soup only requires a few simple steps:
- Prep and chop your vegetables.
- Cut your head of cauliflower into bite-sized florets and finely dice one sweet onion.
- Sauté the diced onion in a large pot or Dutch oven in a bit of olive oil. Then add the cauliflower florets and sauté them for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, spices, and raw cashews (secret ingredient here!) to the pot and bring to a boil. Keep at a rolling boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Puree the cauliflower soup in a large high-speed mixer, food processor, or with an immersion blender. (More details below.)
Ingredients in Cream of Cauliflower Soup
In this cauliflower soup recipe there are only a few ingredients, and all of them are relatively easy to find. The critical ingredients you will need include:
- Head of cauliflower – make sure you get a medium-large sized head to ensure you get at least 4 cups of cauliflower florets.
- Sweet or yellow onion – sweet onions are my personal fave!
- Chicken or vegetable broth OR water + Better than Bouillon (Chicken Base) – The latter is by FAR my fave. If you cannot find it, no worries! Simply use vegetable or chicken broth for similar results.
- Red pepper flakes – Use more or less depending on how spicy you want your cauliflower soup.
- Salt, pepper, dried sage – Feel free to use dried basil, thyme, oregano, or rosemary for similar results in place of the sage.
- Raw cashews – ABSOLUTELY necessary. Do NOT leave these out. These help to thicken up the cauliflower soup to make it extra creamy and delicious without loading it with heavy cream.
Cook’s Tip: Do NOT get salted or roasted cashews. Make sure you get RAW cashews for best results!
The Best Way to Make Creamy Cauliflower Soup
There are multiple ways you can puree and blend up this healthy soup recipe to make it extra creamy and delicious. Here are a few kitchen tools and utensils you can use (in order of preference):
- Immersion (or wand) blender – Super easy clean-up and does not require you to transfer hot soup into another appliance.
- Vitamix or High-speed Blender – Another great option since the Vitamix is so large and can hold all of the contents of this cauliflower soup recipe. (Although, be careful of it splattering!)
- Food processor – Not the easiest way to puree this soup, but definitely can be done. You will need to work in batches to ensure your cream of cauliflower soup reaches its’ maximum creamy potential.
Reheating, Freezing, and Storing
Cauliflower soup will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and will freeze for up to 3 months. Make sure you bring the soup completely to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator for best results. If transferring to the freezer, place soup in freezer-safe plastic containers and bring to refrigerator temperature first before freezing.
When ready to reheat from the refrigerator, simply add it to a pot over medium-low heat and heat up for 5-10 minutes, or pop a bowl of it in the microwave.
Much like other soup recipes, this cauliflower soup definitely gets better with time! So if you have the patience, whip up a batch of it, store it in the refrigerator, reheat, and then enjoy it the next day. It seriously gets super creamy and even more flavorful!
What to Serve with It?
While this cauliflower soup recipe is quite the stud on its’ own, there are definitely a few things you can serve with it to make it even more magical:
- Gluten-free baguettes – personal favorite, especially with a touch of butter and garlic!
- Gluten-free croutons – for those of you that like a bit of crunchy in your soup.
- Parmesan cheese whisps – this is a great alternative to the above for those of you on a low-carb diet.
Can I Make this Cauliflower Soup Vegan or Dairy-Free?
YES! You absolutely CAN make this cauliflower soup vegan and dairy-free by making the following adjustments to the recipe:
- Use vegan “butter” sticks (such as those from Earth Balance) in place of the butter.
- Use Better than Bouillon Vegetarian base or vegetable broth. (For vegan)
- Use a vegan Parmesan cheese instead of regular Parmesan cheese.
WATCH: How to Make Cauliflower Soup
Other Healthy Cauliflower Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Healthy Cauliflower Soup
A healthy Cauliflower Soup recipe that is ultra creamy, loaded with cauliflower, and can easily be made vegan, and dairy-free.
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into florets, about 6 cups
- 3 cloves garlic large, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. butter or vegan "butter" sticks
- 6 cups broth chicken or vegetable, regular sodium*
- ½ cup cashews raw
- 1 tsp. salt to taste
- ⅛-¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ⅛ tsp. paprika
- ¾ tsp. dried sage
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated, or dairy-free Parmesan cheese
Saute onion and olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Add cauliflower and continue sautéing for 5 more minutes. Add crushed garlic and sauté for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Add in broth (or water and Better than Bouillon), butter, cashews, red pepper flakes, salt, paprika, and sage. Bring pot to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-high heat, while maintaining a rolling boil, for 20 minutes.
Serve cauliflower soup with fresh parsley, additional parmesan cheese, and some toasted baguettes or Parmesan cheese whisps. Enjoy!