A healthy and gluten-free recipe for blueberry oatmeal breakfast cookies. They make a wonderful breakfast treat, healthy dessert, or after school snack!
Have you ever tried a blueberry muffin in cookie form?! These blueberry oatmeal breakfast cookies taste like the soft and buttery tops you find on most bakery muffins. However, they are secretly healthy. Chock full of gluten free oats, toasted almonds, dried blueberries and honey, these cookies make a super nutritious breakfast or snack!
In an attempt to make these cookies a little more “breakfast friendly” I substituted half of the sugar for honey and 2 T. of butter for coconut oil.
The base of the cookies is primarily gluten free oats so they provide you with a wonderful boost of fiber for your first meal of the day or for afternoon snack.
My husband, Cohl, was so obsessed with these cookies that we almost got into a little tiff when he found out I brought the last few to share at the office :-O Oops! Might just have to make some more of these again soon!
Want a few substitution ideas for these blueberry oatmeal breakfast cookies?
- For the dried blueberries:
- Feel free to swap them out for dried cranberries, raisins or cherries.
- For the almonds:
- Substitute pecans or walnuts if you prefer these nuts over almonds.
- For the honey:
- Want to make these cookies vegan? Substitute agave nectar or maple syrup for the honey.
- For the brown rice flour:
- Don’t have any brown rice flour? Feel free to substitute white rice flour for it or use a 1-1 gluten free baking blend instead of the rice flour and tapioca starch.
Blueberry & Oats Breakfast Cookies
A healthy and gluten-free recipe for blueberry oatmeal breakfast cookies. They make a wonderful breakfast treat or snack!
- 3/4 cup gluten-free baking flour 1-to-1
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 2 T. coconut oil melted
- ¼ c. butter* softened
- 2 eggs*
- ¼ c. honey, agave nectar, or pure maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. oats rolled, old-fashioned
- 1/3 c. almonds coarsely chopped, raw
- ½ c. dried blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chopped, raw almonds on a baking sheet and cook in preheated oven for 4-5 minutes, or until slightly browned and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, place first 5 ingredients and mix to combine.
- Add oil, butter, eggs, honey and vanilla and mix with an electric mixer for 30-45 seconds.
- Add in oats, ½ c. at a time, and mix for 15 seconds after each addition.
- Hand mix in almonds and blueberries.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 1 ½ - 2 tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto the sheets, evenly spaced. Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned.
*For vegan, substitute additional coconut oil in place of the butter and 2 flax eggs in place of the eggs.
Want more recipes like these Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies?