BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are an easy, healthy, gluten-free, and dairy-free weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy! This stuffed sweet potatoes recipe can also easily be made Paleo and Whole30.
Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for the Weeknight Win!
After I discovered it was possible to make an Instant Pot Sweet Potato my mind began to wonder how many new recipe creations I could make with them…
Sweet Potato Casserole – while yes, I could eat this all year, but it’s definitely more of a Thanksgiving recipe…
Mashed Sweet Potatoes – a very possible option…
Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – now we’re talking!!
What Size Sweet Potatoes for Stuffed Sweet Potatoes?
When selecting your sweet potatoes at the grocery store, be sure to pick potatoes that are of similar size.
In this recipe I used sweet potatoes that were about 1/2 pound each, totaling 2 pounds of sweet potatoes.
Keeping your potatoes the same size ensures all of the sweet potatoes cook at a similar rate and are done at the same time!
How Do You Cook Your Sweet Potatoes?
In order to make your BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes you will first need to cook or bake your sweet potatoes.
After rinsing, scrubbing, and piercing each potato 5-6 times with a fork, there are two ways you can cook your sweet potatoes:
- Drizzle each sweet potato with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Next, wrap each potato in aluminum foil and bake them in a 400 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. (More time for thicker potatoes!)
- Tip #1: While this way will definitely give the potatoes great flavor, you run the risk of having aluminum leach into the potatoes. Make sure you leave a little vent at the top to let a bit of air escape and reduce this risk!
- Tip #2: Make sure you place your potatoes on a baking sheet and NOT directly on the oven racks. If you do, you might end up with oil burning on the bottom of your oven! <– Totally did this recently!
- Follow the instructions here to make your sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Whether you bake your sweet potatoes in the oven or cook them quickly in the Instant Pot, the recipe below will still remain the same.
What Type of BBQ Sauce is Best?
A HUGE component to the taste and flavor of these BBQ Chicken stuffed sweet potatoes is the type of barbecue sauce that you use.
You will definitely want to select one that you like the flavor of all by itself!
Here are a few of my favorite gluten-free BBQ sauces:
Also, if you are on a Whole30 or Paleo diet, make sure you grab one that is free of refined sugar and soy, too.
Here are a few of my favorite Whole30 and Paleo BBQ sauces:
How Can You Evolve these BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes?
While these chicken stuffed sweet potatoes are already gluten-free and dairy-free, there are a few things you can change to make them Paleo and Whole30, too!
Here are a few ways you can adapt them to your preferences:
- Use a Paleo and Whole30-approved BBQ sauce like the ones mentioned above.
- Serve with pickled red onions instead of fresh.
- Top with fresh jalapenos instead of pickle relish.
- Add a bit of regular or dairy-free cheese.
- Kick it up a notch with your favorite hot sauce.
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are an easy, healthy, gluten-free, and dairy-free weeknight dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy!
- Cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot or in the oven.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and chicken breasts.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes, flipping chicken breasts halfway through.
- Once chicken is completely cooked, shred with a fork and add BBQ sauce. Stir until combined.
- Serve BBQ chicken in cooked sweet potatoes with diced red onion, salt, pepper, cilantro, cheese, and relish. Enjoy!
*Here are a few of my favorite gluten-free BBQ sauces:
Also, if you are on a Whole30 or Paleo diet, make sure you grab one that is free of refined sugar, too: