The best homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make! This DIY spice mix combines ground spices including chili powder, cumin, paprika, and a secret ingredient. Use this classic blend to season meat, or make your favorite vegetarian and vegan chilis!
Have you ever made your own chili seasoning mix recipe from scratch?
Not only are homemade blends quite a bit healthier for you…
But they are also SO easy to make…
They taste incredible…
AND you can adjust the spice level to your preference!
By prepping this DIY mix ahead of time you will be able to easily make your favorite pot of chili in a jiff!
Simply pull it out of your cabinet, add the right amount, and voila!
You have a big bowl of chili that is ready for the big game or a cozy couch day.
What is Chili Seasoning?
Chili seasoning is a mix of 6-8 spices with chili powder being one of the main ingredients.
It can either be bought in the store or made at home using a simple recipe.
This DIY spice blend is often used in ground turkey, ground beef, and even vegan recipes.
How to Make Chili Seasoning
Making this spice mix at home is quite simple and requires a few easy to find spices and herbs. (See recipe card below for ingredient amounts.)
All you need to do is mix up all the ingredients and you’re done! You can either use a bowl, or combine everything in in the container you want to store it in to save time.
The ingredients you need to make this homemade chili seasoning include:
- Chili Powder. The star of the show, this makes up the bulk of the mix.
- Cumin. Much like in taco seasoning, cumin is also used in this recipe.
- Paprika. Feel free to use half smoked paprika and half regular paprika for an extra smokey kick!
- Garlic Powder. Please do not substitute for garlic salt. You can, however, substitute with onion powder.
- Oregano. Feel free to swap out with dried thyme or basil instead.
- Cayenne pepper. You can adjust the cayenne pepper level according to your spice preference. Or, use red pepper flakes if you do not have cayenne pepper on hand.
- Cinnamon. A super tasty secret ingredient! It adds an extra level of flavor to your homemade chili recipes.
- Black pepper. Any good ground black pepper works great.
- Salt. This is completely optional. Leave this out if you want to decrease the amount of sodium.
It is best to keep homemade spice mixes in an airtight container.
Store this container in a cool, dry space. A spice cabinet (NOT over the stove!) or a dry pantry will work great.
You do not want too much open space in the container. It is best to choose one that just barely fits all of the spices.
These 4-ounce mason jars are my favorite to store DIY seasoning mixes in.
Chili seasoning will last for up to 1-2 years if stored at room temperature in a cool, dry place.
Best Store Bought Brands
A store bought seasoning packet is a great substitute if you don’t have time to make it from scratch.
Mccormick’s is my favorite packet brand. They even make a gluten-free mix and a lower sodium blend, too!
Use 3-4 tablespoons of chili seasoning mix per pound of ground meat.
No, they will never go bad, but they will lose their potency over time. Make sure you store in an airtight container for best results.
Cinnamon is a fabulous secret ingredient for chili! It adds the best subtle yet amazing flavor.
The two spice mixes are quite similar, and you can use taco seasoning for chili, especially for more of a Mexican flair. However, to make traditional chili it is best to stick with chili seasoning.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Make it smoky. Mix in half smoked and half regular paprika.
- Use less dishes. Combine the ingredients in the container you are using to store the blend.
- Know how much. Season one pound of meat with 3-4 tablespoons of chili seasoning.
- Store it right. Keep in a small, airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Recipes to Use It In
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey Chili
- Healthy Sweet Potato Ground Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Chicken Pumpkin Chili
- Crock Pot Vegan Chili – use it in place of the taco seasoning!
Homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe
The best homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe is incredibly quick and easy to make! Use this classic blend to season meat, or make your favorite vegetarian and vegan chilis.
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano dried
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3 tsp. salt optional
Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
Use 3-4 tablespoons of seasoning mix for every 1 pound of ground meat.
Make this Instant Pot Turkey Chili with it or store in an airtight container for up to 6 months in a cool, dry place.
- Nutrition information is for 1 tablespoon of chili seasoning.
- Recipe yields ~½ cup of chili seasoning.