Snuggle up to this healthy Instant Pot Turkey Chili that makes a quick and easy dinner recipe or game day favorite. This simple and classic chili is made with red kidney beans, diced tomatoes, ground turkey and a homemade seasoning blend. It’s also naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, and can be ready in 45 minutes!
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
Nothing is quite like snuggling up to a cozy bowl full of piping hot grou
nd turkey chili! (Or any chili recipe for that matter!)
Serve it with a piece of Honey Jalapeño Cornbread and you’ll have yourself one comforting winter dinner.
Most traditional recipes seem to take FOREVER to cook.
Especially if you want to get super tender ground meat that is full of chili flavor.
But did you know you can make the BEST chili in a pressure cooker – and it takes less than 45 minutes?
And all of that flavor is thanks to a homemade chili seasoning mix.
Your family will think you slaved away all day over a hot stove to make this bowl of deliciousness!
We’ll let them be fooled. Because you and I both know you simply popped it into your pressure cooker and let it do the work for you. 😉
The ingredients you will need are very similar to those a traditional chili recipe calls for:
- Ground Turkey – You can also substitute ground beef, venison, or chicken.
- Onion – A sweet onion is used but a yellow or white may be substituted.
- Bell Pepper – Feel free to use a red, green, or yellow bell pepper.
- Celery – This ingredients sets it apart from most other chili recipes and completes the “trinity” of ingredients.
- Beans – Dark, red kidney beans are found in this recipe and the typical chili beans. However, black beans may also be used. Canned beans are definitely quicker and easier to use, but feel free to cook your beans from dried if you’d prefer.
- Tomatoes – A combination of both canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce are used in this chili recipe. You can substitute the diced tomatoes with crushed tomatoes if needed.
- Chicken Broth – A little additional liquid is needed when making chili in a pressure cooker. Water can be used, but broth has quite a bit more sodium and flavor.
- Homemade Chili Seasoning – This recipe was created with a homemade spice blend and not a store bought packet. If using a packet, please test and adjust to your taste preference.
- Salt and pepper are included in this mix, but you can adjust the amount you use accordingly.
Cook’s Tip: Make sure you rinse and drain the beans thoroughly before using in the recipe.
How to Make
This recipe follows many of the same directions as a regular chili.
However, there is no need to bring to a boil or simmer the ingredients for ages to get the same results.
- Set Instant Pot to the saute function and cook vegetables in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Push vegetables to the side and add ground turkey.
- Cook turkey for 4-5 minutes or until turkey is almost cooked through.
- Pour in broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any of the stuck bits and pieces.
- Add kidney beans, chili seasoning mix, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, and sugar.
- Cover pot with a lid and set to High Pressure for 12 minutes.
- Allow a 10-minute natural pressure release for the most tender and flavorful chili.
- You may do a quick release if you are pressed for time.
Do you want to learn How to Use an Instant Pot? All of the basics are covered in this post!
Some of the best toppings to add to this homemade chili include:
- Sour Cream – Tofutti makes an incredible dairy-free sour cream if you need that!
- Shredded Cheese – Cheddar cheese and Monterrey Jack blends taste great.
- Jalapenos – Sliced peppers will add an extra level of heat to the chili recipe.
- Tortilla Chips – Crushed tortilla chips give chili a wonderful crunch and texture.
Instant Pot Questions
Do I need to do a 10-minute NPR?
A 10-minute natural pressure release gives the chili extra time to get tender and more flavorful.
You can also do a quick release if you are pressed for time.
Why am I getting a burn error?
There are two reasons you may get a burn notice:
- The bottom of the pot had browned bits stuck to it. Next time, scrape the bottom of the pot thoroughly.
- The tomatoes were stirred in. Make sure you pour your tomatoes on the TOP of the ingredients when adding them into the Instant Pot.
Why isn’t my Instant Pot sealing?
The most common reason is that the clear plastic ring is loose.
If this happens:
- Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Remove the lid.
- Adjust the ring.
- Add a bit more liquid before trying again.
How to make chili spicy?
Additional cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes can be added to increase the spice level.
How to thicken chili?
Add a cornstarch slurry if you would like to thicken it. (Whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/4 cup warm water.)
Storage and Serving
How long does it last?
Chili can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Turkey chili freezes well for up to 4-6 months in a freezer safe container.
What to serve with chili?
Other Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
Instant Pot Turkey Chili is a quick, easy, and healthy ground turkey recipe. It is made with red kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and a homemade chili seasoning.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely diced
- 3 stalks celery finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey 93/7
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 15-oz. cans red kidney beans
- 4 Tbsp. homemade chili seasoning
- 2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Jalapeños thinly sliced
- Sour cream can use dairy-free
- Shredded cheddar cheese can use dairy-free
- Green onions finely chopped
Set a 6-quart Instant Pot to the sauté function and add olive oil along with diced sweet onion, celery, and bell pepper.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables become tender.
Push vegetables to the side of the pot and add ground turkey.
Cook for 3-4 minutes or until turkey is almost cooked through. Crumble turkey with a spatula or a potato masher.
Pour in chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen up bits that are stuck.
Add black beans, seasoning mix, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar. (Do not mix ingredients together. You want the tomatoes to stay towards the top while cooking.)
Cover Instant Pot with a lid, make sure pressure release valve is set to sealed, and turn pot on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Allow a 10-minute natural pressure release before opening the valve to release the steam.
Serve ground turkey chili with sliced jalapeños, green onions, sour cream, and/or cheese. Enjoy!
- Nutrition information is calculated before additional toppings or rice is served with the chili.
- This is the Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix that was used in the recipe.