Instant Pot Chicken Pumpkin Chili is a quick and easy chili recipe to bring in the Fall season!! Since this pumpkin chili recipe is made in the Instant Pot you can enjoy your healthy, dairy-free, and gluten free dinner recipe in a fraction of the time.
Pumpkin Chili to Cozy Up With!
Don’t you just love the changing of seasons!!
Even though we live in Texas and our seasons are a little less dramatic, there is still quite a big shift in the weather towards the end of September.
The nights get a bit cooler, the days are no longer scorching hot, the air seems a bit more crisp, and Instant Pot pumpkin chili is loaded up into big bowls as we get cozy on the couch.
Instant Pot Chili Recipe in a Snap!!
Do you have an Instant Pot yet? If not, you SOOO need to get one ASAP. These pressure cookers are an absolute lifesaver.
My hubby explained them perfectly the other day, “An Instant Pot is like a slow cooker except that it’s quick!”
I don’t think I could have explained it better myself.
Instead of waiting around for your slow cooker to cook up your chicken chili recipe, you can pop all of your ingredients into the Instant Pot and have this savory pumpkin chili recipe ready to go in under 30 minutes!
Don’t Have an Instant Pot? Make Crock-Pot Chicken Chili!
If you do not have an Instant Pot and do not plan on getting one any time soon you can always make this Instant Pot pumpkin chicken chili recipe in your slow cooker.
Simply add all of your ingredients into a 6-quart slow cooker, making sure to get some liquid underneath the chicken breasts, give it a good stir, and cook your pumpkin chili for 6 hours on low in the Crock-Pot.
Pumpkin Chili Ingredients
Not only is this pumpkin chili recipe made quickly by using the Instant Pot, but it is also super easy to find the ingredients for it, too!
So what ingredients do you need for this chicken pumpkin chili recipe?
- Pumpkin Puree. You can either choose to make your own at home or use canned. (Libby’s and Whole Foods organic pumpkin puree are both great.)
- Chicken Breasts. I would definitely advise buying organic meat if you can!
- Vegetables. A bit of onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno are essential in this chicken chili.
- Tomato Paste. This helps to thicken up your pumpkin chili recipe.
- Chicken Broth. Feel free to use vegetable broth instead.
- Black Beans. Personally, I think these taste best with the pumpkin, but feel free to substitute any other canned bean!
- Seasonings. Cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and a touch of cinnamon really give this chili it’s special flavor.
How Can You Evolve It?
While this Instant Pot pumpkin chicken chili recipe is already gluten-free, dairy-free, quick, and easy, there are a few changes you can make:
- Make this recipe Paleo and Whole30 compliant by leaving out the black beans and substituting more bell peppers or cauliflower.
- Not a fan of spice? Leave out the jalapeno and cayenne pepper to take the spice level down a bit.
- Swap out a red onion for the sweet onion or a red bell pepper for the green.
- Don’t have an Instant Pot? Read the directions mentioned above about how you can make this pumpkin chicken chili recipe in the Crock-Pot instead.
Instant Pot Pumpkin Chicken Chili
Instant Pot Pumpkin Chicken Chili is a quick and easy chili recipe to bring in the Fall season!! Since this pumpkin chili recipe is made in the Instant Pot you can enjoy your healthy, dairy-free, and gluten free dinner recipe in a fraction of the time.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion finely diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 cups chicken broth regular
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree canned or homemade
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 15 oz. canned black beans rinsed and drained
Pumpkin Chili Seasonings:
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground sage
- 1 ½ tsp. salt to taste
- ¼ tsp. pepper to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch cinnamon
- Green Onions optional
- Cilantro optional
Set your 6-quart Instant Pot to the saute function and add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add crushed garlic and saute for 1 minute or until lightly browned.
Add chicken broth and be sure to scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen up any bits that might be stuck.
In a small bowl whisk together the pumpkin chili seasoning ingredients.
Add chicken breasts, pumpkin puree, tomato paste, black beans and seasoning ingredients to the Instant Pot. Give it a few stirs and make sure some liquid gets underneath the chicken breasts.
Cover Instant Pot with lid, ensure the pressure release valve is set to sealed, and turn on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Once the Instant Pot is done cooking the chili, let chili sit in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes. (10 minute Natural Pressure release.)
Release the pressure valve. Shred chicken breasts with a fork.
Serve pumpkin chicken chili with finely chopped green onions and cilantro and enjoy!
*Slow Cooker Instructions: add all of your ingredients into a 6-quart slow cooker, making sure to get some liquid underneath the chicken breasts, give it a good stir, and cook your pumpkin chili for 6 hours on low in the Crock-Pot.
**Leave out the black beans to bring the carb count down to 12 carbs / 4 grams of fiber per serving.
***Each serving is 7 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.