Kale?! Yes. Kale. I have a secret way of preparing it so even the most kale-resistant people will enjoy this nutritious green. For the longest time I could not even chew kale without having a slight gag reflex. Something about the texture and the firmness of it just did not mesh well with my senses. Not until I tried my mother-in-love’s (we don’t normally refer to each other as “in-laws”) kale salad did I realize it is actually quite delicious. All you need is a food processor!! The slicing blade does a miraculous job of cutting the kale into fine enough pieces so you do not have to handle the cumbersome task of chewing. A light dressing is made of olive oil, lime and lemon juice and compliments the kale nicely. Be sure you have enough people to help you eat this right away since the dressing tends to wilt the kale rather quickly. Hope you enjoy!
Confetti Kale Salad
Kale?! Yes. Kale. I have a secret way of preparing it so even the most kale-resistant people will enjoy this nutritious green.
- 1 bunch of kale Food Processed small, about 4-5 cups
- 1 carrot using grater on food processor is easiest
- 1 zucchini using grater on food processor is easiest
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1-1 ½ t sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled and chopped
- 3 T finely chopped onion red or yellow
- 3 T finely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 T toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 T fresh lime juice
- Remove stalks from kale and discard. Use disc tool of food processor to process the kale and transfer to a large bowl.
- Use grater tool on food processor and grate the zucchini and carrots. Mix the vegetables in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and using your fingers, gently massage oil into vegetables. Sprinkle with sea salt and Ginger, add avocado and continue massaging until evenly coated.
- Add onion, red pepper, and sunflower seeds and toss. Drizzle lemon and lime juice over salad, massage juices into leaves and toss to distribute ingredients evenly. Season to taste with more salt, if needed.
- This salad is best served immediately since the kale will wilt after dressing. Enjoy!