Learn how to cook bacon in the oven that comes out perfect and crisp every single time. This oven-baked bacon recipe is not only quick and easy, but it also requires minimal cleanup!
Bake Perfect + Crisp Bacon Every Time!
Cooking bacon in a skillet is an acquired skill that requires A LOT of patience. Oftentimes, if you look away for even a few minutes your bacon can go from being perfectly crisp and delicious to a burnt mess unworthy of even becoming crumbled bacon pieces.
While a very select few have the special touch to tenderly care for bacon strips in a cast-iron skillet (my father-in-law being the world’s absolute BEST at cooking bacon), there is a way for those of us lacking such skills to redeem ourselves… by baking bacon in the oven!
But how do you cook bacon in the oven? What temp does the oven need to be set at? And do you need any special tools or kitchen appliances?
The answers to all of your burning questions are found below, so let’s dive into the delightful world of oven-baked bacon!
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven?
The first step in making oven-baked bacon is to gather your kitchen tools and supplies. You will need three things:
- A large, rimmed baking sheet: Having a rim is SUPER important. The rim helps to trap any extra bacon grease from hitting the bottom of your oven and causing a smokey mess.
- A wire rack that fits your baking sheet: A wire rack helps circulate air underneath the bacon and allows excess bacon fat to drip into the baking sheet. This leads to ultra crispy, instead of super soggy, baked bacon.
- Aluminum foil: You know all of that bacon fat that is dripping onto your pan? A little aluminum foil will allow you to have an extremely easy clean-up when your oven-baked bacon is done!
How to Select:
When selecting bacon at the grocery store I like to either get it from the butcher counter (absolute BEST quality and flavor!) or buy a nitrate-free pre-packaged bacon. Also, look on the side of the package and check for marbling. The more meat you see, the less fatty the bacon will be, and the better it will come out!
What Oven Temp is Best for Cooking Bacon?
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit when cooking bacon in the oven. Make sure your oven is heated to temp for at least 5 minutes before placing your bacon into the oven. If you are baking two sheets of bacon at the same time place the first sheet in the bottom 1/3 of the oven and the second pan in the top 1/3 of the oven.
How Long to Bake Bacon
When cooking bacon in the oven you will generally cook it for anywhere between 15-25 minutes. This is a fairly broad range because it depends solely on what type of bacon you have, regular-cut or thick-cut.
- Regular cut bacon: Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Thick-cut bacon: Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Can I Bake Turkey Bacon, Too?
You absolutely can cook turkey bacon in the oven. Simply follow the general guidelines set above (15-20 minutes for regular-cut bacon and 20-25 minutes for thick-cut bacon) and you will get super crisp turkey bacon, too!
A Secret Tip:
If you would like to trick your guests into thinking you slaved away all day turning your bacon in a skillet, instead of cooking bacon in the oven, I have a secret tip for you:
Cook’s Tip: In 3-4 spots lift up your bacon slightly off of the wire rack to create “rolls” in the bacon strips. This will create a more natural appearance for the oven-baked bacon. (pictured above)
Pat and Dry
Once your house is full of the delightful bacon aroma and your strips are cooked to crispy perfect, it’s time to pat and dry them.
- Place 4-5 paper towels onto a large plate.
- Add 3 bacon strips the the paper towel-lined plate and pat the bacon dry with additional paper towels.
- Repeat this process until all bacon strips have been patted dry.
What Recipes Can You Make?
There are so many ways to incorporate bacon into your gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, low-carb or keto recipes. Some of my favorite recipes with baked bacon include:
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa (Gluten-free + Dairy-Free)
- Chicken Cobb Chopped Kale Salad (GF + Low-Carb + Keto)
- Loaded Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes (GF + Low-Carb + Keto)
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
Learn how to cook bacon in the oven that comes out perfect and crisp every single time. This is the best oven-baked bacon recipe because it is not only quick and easy, but it also requires minimal cleanup and is gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, keto and can be Paleo.
- 8-10 slices bacon regular or thick-cut
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place bacon slices on rack in a single layer, being careful not to overlap. Create slight folds in the bacon slices to give them a more natural look.
Bake bacon in oven for 15-25 minutes. Regular-cut bacon will take 15-20 minutes while thick-cut bacon will take closer to 20-25 minutes.
Remove bacon from oven and place 3 strips on a paper towel-lined plate. Pat dry with additional paper towels to remove excess grease. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts are calculated based on 8 slices of bacon and 1 bacon strip/serving.