Learn how to cook spaghetti squash in the oven with these easy Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Boats with Chicken. This healthy stuffed spaghetti squash recipe is a keto, low-carb, and gluten-free dinner recipe for those busy weeknights.
‘Tis the season for enormous spaghetti squash loaded with yummy sauce and chicken!! Have you seen all of the “gourd”-geous squash at your grocery store lately? Acorn squash, spaghetti squash, and pumpkins are taking over the scene. So what better to do than to make some Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Sqash Boats?!
Watch the Video below!
Or you can go to YouTube here to see how easy these spaghetti squash boats are to make.
We have a love-hate relationship with dairy in our house. Cohl and I both LOVE to eat dairy, because it tastes so darn good, but then end up hating it after we have eaten. For me it is tummy problems and for him, it is a sniffle attack and he gets extremely congested.
Many of the recipes you will find here on the site are not 100% dairy free, but I do use a few substitutions where flavor will not be affected. For example… Almond milk was used in place of regular milk for the sauce in the spinach artichoke spaghetti squash boats. In all honesty, I do not think you can tell a bit of difference!
How to make these Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Boats have even less dairy…
- Use Goat’s milk yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt.
- Replace the cream cheese with equal amounts Goat’s milk yogurt.
- Use a dairy-free cheese in place of the Mozzarella or simply reduce the amount of Mozzarella used.
Are you vegetarian? Or perhaps vegan?
You can make this recipe sans meat products by doing the following:
- Use tofu in place of chicken. Or leave it out completely!
- Instead of chicken broth, use vegetable broth.
- Replace the cream cheese and Greek yogurt with equal parts vegan yogurt.
- Either leave off the Mozzarella or replace it with a vegan cheese substitute.
What is your favorite gourd of the season?
I would love to hear in the comments section below.
Until next time, Happy Spaghetti Squashin’!!
Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Boats with Chicken
These Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Boats with Chicken are a healthy, low-carb, and gluten-free dinner recipe for those busy weeknights.
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 T. butter or olive oil
- 2 T. cornstarch
- ½ c. milk or almond milk
- ½ c. chicken broth
- 3 T. cream cheese
- 1/3 c. Greek yogurt
- ½ - 1 t. salt to taste
- 1- 15- oz. can artichoke hearts drained and quartered
- 2 c. fresh spinach packed
- ½ - 1 c. Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parsley fresh (optional)
- Parmesan cheese optional
For the Spaghetti Squash:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut one large spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Discard seeds.
- Drizzle 1 T. olive oil in each half of the squash and sprinkle with equal amounts salt and pepper.
- Place, face-down, on a parchment paper or aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast squash in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until squash is tender and shreds easily with a fork.
For the Chicken:
- Drizzle 2 T. olive oil in a large skillet. Place cubed chicken, salt and pepper into skillet and cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
For the Sauce:
- Once chicken is removed, in the same skillet place butter and garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is golden brown.
- Add cornstarch to the butter and garlic and reduce heat to low. Whisk until a thick paste forms.
- Slowly add milk and chicken broth over the course of 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cream cheese, Greek yogurt and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- Add artichoke hearts and spinach. Stir to combine and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and let heat through for an additional 5 minutes.
For the Assembly:
- Once spaghetti squash halves are done baking, remove from oven and shred insides with a fork to form spaghetti “noodles.”
- Fill each half with equal parts of the spinach artichoke and chicken mixture, making sure to pull up the noodles so the sauce spreads out evenly.
- Top both halves with equal amounts of Mozzarella cheese.
- Set oven to High Broil.
- Broil spaghetti squash halves for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese just starts to bubble and turns a light golden brown.
- Top stuffed spaghetti squash halves with parsley and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Want more recipes like these Spinach Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Boats with Chicken?