Whip up a perfectly cooked Instant Pot Sweet Potato in under 30 minutes! It is so easy to cook a whole potato in the pressure cooker that you can then stuff with chicken, make into a puree, or turn it into a healthy dinner side dish recipe!
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
There are two things that I have recently become obsessed with:
- My new 6-quart Instant Pot that I got for Christmas last year.
- Do you want to learn How to Use an Instant Pot? All of the basics are covered in this post!
- Sweet potatoes. OK, this is really not so much a NEW thing as it is a CONSTANT thing.
So you can believe my delight when I discovered how easy it is to make an Instant Pot sweet potato!
No more tearing off tons of pieces of aluminum foil, wrapping each one individually, and then hearing your smoke detector go off because all of the oil hit the bottom of the oven! <– totally happened this past weekend :-O
Nope! You simply toss your unwrapped, un-oiled, no-fuss sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot and watch the magic unfold.
Perfectly fluffy potato flesh that is made entirely in the Instant Pot quickly and easily!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also learn How to Bake Sweet Potatoes in the oven here.
Instant Pot & Accessories
While you will not need to pull out an entire roll of aluminum foil to get your sweet potatoes cooked to perfection, there are a few tools you will need to make them in the Instant Pot:
- An Instant Pot. Duh! I have the 6-quart Duo Plus Instant Pot and I find that it is plenty big enough for stews, soups, and sweet potatoes.
- A trivet or steamer basket. My personal favorite is the steamer basket, although you will need to purchase this separately from your Instant Pot. The trivet comes with most pressure cookers and works just fine in this recipe!
- A long wooden spoon or a really long arm. OK, not totally necessary, but if you’re scared of the pressure release valve a nice long wooden spoon will prevent burning your arm from the steam!
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Instant Pot?
Now that you’ve got your Instant Pot and the steamer basket or trivet, let’s go over the step-by-step instructions:
- Scrub-a-dub-dub. Scrub all of your sweet potatoes until they are squeaky clean.
- Pierce each one with a fork 5-6 times. This helps the potatoes to release a bit of steam while cooking in your Instant Pot.
- Pour 1 cup water in the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Place your sweet potatoes in the steamer basket or on a trivet that is placed in the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot, turn the pressure release valve to sealed, and set the Instant Pot to High pressure for:
- 16-18 minutes if medium-sized potatoes.
- 20-22 minutes if larger-sized potatoes.
- Let them sit in the Instant Pot 10 minutes after the timer goes off (a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release.)
What to Make
There are so many ways you can enjoy your Instant Pot sweet potatoes.
One of my favorite ways is to cook up a bit of chicken with BBQ sauce and stuff ’em to the brim!
You can also remove the skins from the sweet potatoes and make mashed sweet potatoes with a bit of butter, salt, and maple syrup.
Or, if you’re feeling lazy, you can just add a touch of olive oil and seasonings straight to the spud and munch away!
Really, your options are endless! They’re also perfect for a Paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, and dairy-free diet, too.
Would love to hear in the comments below what you end up making 🙂
Instant Pot Sweet Potato
Whip up a perfectly cooked Instant Pot Sweet Potato in under 30 minutes! It is so easy to cook a whole sweet potato in the pressure cooker that you can then stuff with chicken, make a sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving, or turn it into mashed sweet potatoes for a healthy dinner side dish recipe!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes about ½ pound each, cleaned
- 1 cup water
Using a fork, poke holes in each sweet potato 5-6 times.
Add water to a 6-quart Instant Pot.
Place sweet potatoes on a trivet or in a steamer basket inside the Instant Pot.
Cover Instant Pot with lid, ensure the pressure release valve is set to sealed, and turn on high pressure for 17 minutes for medium-sized potatoes and 20-22 minutes for large potatoes.
Once the Instant Pot is done cooking the potatoes, let potatoes sit in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes. (10 minute Natural Pressure release.)
Serve sweet potatoes with a bit of butter and salt or stuff with your favorite ingredients and enjoy!