Learn How to Boil Sweet Potatoes that are whole or cubed, peeled or skins still on. Boiling is an easy and healthy way to cook them before adding to your favorite recipes.
Boiling Sweet Potatoes – Perfect for Recipes
Boiling sweet potatoes is an easy way to get perfectly tender potatoes that can be used in numerous recipes.
Cooking them in a pot of boiling water is definitely a foolproof method for an easy side dish.
Ingredients and Kitchen Utensils
There are only a few ingredients and kitchen utensils that you will need.
- Sweet Potatoes – If you are boiling them whole, try to find similarly sized potatoes.
- Salt – Add a little salt to the boiling water to add flavor.
- Water – Use filtered water for the best results.
- Potato Peeler – You will need this if you are peeling before boiling.
- Knife – A sharp knife helps to cut them into similar sized chunks.
- Pot – A large pot is recommended. You want to be able to fit the potatoes and enough water to cover them by 1-2 inches.
How to Boil
Once you have your ingredients and utensils gathered up it’s time to start the process of this recipe.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Make sure you have enough water so the sweet potatoes are covered by at least 1 inch of water.
- It’s best to err on the side of more water rather than not enough.
- Carefully add whole potatoes or chunks to the water.
- Reduce heat to Medium-High and keep a slow boil throughout the duration of cooking.
- Boil sweet potatoes until they are cooked through. (Read below for exact cook times.)
- Drain in a colander and use in your favorite recipes.
Peeling and Cutting
You can speed up the cooking process by peeling and cutting this starchy vegetable into similarly sized chunks.
- Use a potato peeler to remove the skin.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into either 1-inch or 2-inch chunks.
Make sure you pick one size and try to make all of the sweet potato pieces the same size. This ensures that it boils at a similar rate.
Do I Need to Peel Before Boiling?
You do not need to peel sweet potatoes before boiling.
If leaving the peel on, you will need to pierce the skin of the potato with a fork a few times.
Also, boiling a sweet potato with the peel will require slightly more time for it to cook through.
How Long Will It Take?
The amount of time you will need to cook depends primarily on the size of the potatoes.
Boiling Whole Sweet Potatoes
Boil whole for 30-50 minutes. This largely depends on the size of the potato. Smaller ones will be done faster, larger potatoes may take a bit longer.
Boiling Cubed Sweet Potatoes
Boil sweet potatoes that are cut into 1-inch cubes for 12-15 minutes.
Boil those cut into 2-inch cubes for 20-25 minutes.
Are They Healthy?
Sweet potatoes are full of dietary fiber and antioxidants. They are also an incredible source of Vitamin A, the B vitamins, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Iron, and Calcium.
Sweet and regular potatoes have a similar amount of carbs and calories. White potatoes have a little less sugar while sweet potatoes are higher in Vitamins A and C.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
How to Boil Sweet Potatoes
Learn How to Boil Sweet Potatoes that are whole or cubed, peeled or skins still on. Boiling sweet potatoes is an easy and healthy way to cook them before adding to your favorite mashed sweet potatoes or casserole recipe.
- 2-4 lbs. sweet potatoes
- Salt optional
Bring a large pot of water with a pinch of salt to a rolling boil.*
Peel potatoes with a potato peeler and cut your sweet potatoes into 1" or 2" chunks. You can also leave them whole and with the skin on, if you prefer.*
Carefully add sweet potatoes to the boiling water.
Reduce heat to Medium-High and keep a slow boil throughout the duration of cooking.
Boil sweet potatoes until they are cooked through:
For 1" cubes - 12 to 15 minutes.
For 2" cubes - 20-25 minutes.
For whole potatoes - 30-50 minutes. (Depending on the size of the potato.)
- Make sure you have enough water so the sweet potatoes are covered by at least 1 inch of water. It's best to err on the side of more water rather than not enough.
- If leaving the skin on whole sweet potatoes, pierce the each sweet potato with a fork 7-8 times.