Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are ultra rich, super creamy, and secretly easy! These mashed red potatoes are a healthy side dish recipe made with red skin potatoes, garlic, butter, and fresh herbs.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe – New Twist on an Old Favorite!
There is nothing quite like a side of mashed potatoes… especially when they are made quickly in the Instant Pot!
I remember being a bit anxious before having my wisdom teeth taken out as a kid. Let’s be honest here… I was mainly worried about what I could EAT and COULDN’T eat after the surgery!
Fortunately for me, my dad was sweet enough to spend the time to make a big pot of homemade mashed potatoes. You have to patiently bring to a boil a large pot of water and then wait for the potatoes cook.
Since patience is not a virtue of mine, I decided to bring back an old favorite. However this time I would pressure cook the potatoes!
(For those of you who like your garlic mashed potatoes without too much fuss!)
Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes
Really starchy potatoes such as Yukon gold or russet potatoes will yield super fluffy mashed potatoes.
Red or white potatoes are are waxier and will give you mashed potatoes with more shape and creaminess.
In this recipe we are using red skin potatoes for their texture and pop of color the skin adds to dish.
However, feel free to use Yukon gold or russet potatoes if that is what you have on hand. Just make sure you cut them into similar sized pieces as the ones you see pictured below.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Now that you have potatoes selected, it is time to cook your Instant Pot mashed potatoes.
You will NOT need a trivet or steamer basket for this recipe.
- Add potatoes to a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Pour in 1 cup of water or broth. (Broth will give the mashed red potatoes much more flavor)
- Cook’s Tip: Using vegetable or chicken broth instead of water gives the Instant Pot mashed potatoes a lot more flavor.
- Cover Instant Pot with lid and set the pressure release valve to sealed.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. (The potatoes should become fork tender.)
- You can adjust the cooking time based on how large or small you cut the potatoes.
- Quick release the pressure as soon as the timer goes off.
- Saute garlic in a skillet with the butter until golden brown. Or, you can use crushed roasted garlic cloves.
- Cook’s Tip: Sauteing garlic helps to bring out the nutty and savory flavor of it.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, finely chopped herbs, and butter.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or a larger fork.
How Long Do You Cook Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot
The best thing about making mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot is how quickly you can cook your potatoes.
Cook potatoes in the Instant pot for mashed potatoes on high pressure for 12 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, quick release the pressure release valve.
How to Mash Potatoes
The best way to mash potatoes is with a stainless steel potato masher.
As soon as the potatoes are are fork tender, immediately start mashing the potatoes.
The potatoes are slightly more difficult to mash as they cool off.
Also, you can add a bit of milk, yogurt, or cream (if not dairy-free) if you want to make the garlic mashed potatoes creamier.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
You can freeze mashed potatoes quite easily. Simply fill one gallon ziplock bags with your leftover mashed potatoes and lay them flat in the freezer to form thin rectangular shapes. This will help the frozen mashed potatoes thaw more quickly and allows you to stack them in the freezer.
How to Reheat Leftover Mashed Potatoes
If you are reheating mashed potatoes from frozen: thaw frozen mashed potatoes in the refrigerator or in the microwave before following the instructions below.
Reheating Mashed Potatoes: Add refrigerated mashed potatoes and a tablespoon or two of milk to a skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. You can also reheat leftover mashed potatoes in the microwave or in a baking dish in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
What to Eat with Mashed Potatoes?
Mashed potatoes are so versatile and can go with almost any main dish recipe.
Dishes with delicious sauces are the BEST to pair with creamy potatoes!
Some of my favorite main dishes to serve with mashed red potatoes includes:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are ultra rich, super creamy, and secretly gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and Whole30-approved!
- 2 ½ pounds red potatoes* large, quartered
- 1 cup broth vegetable or chicken
- 1 ½ - 2 tsp. salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 Tbsp. butter or vegan buttery sticks
- 1 tsp. rosemary fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme fresh, finely chopped
- Parsley optional
- See this recipe in Meal Plan #5
Pour broth into the bottom of a 6-quart Instant Pot. Place quartered red potatoes into the Instant Pot.
Cover Instant Pot with lid and make sure pressure release valve is set to sealed. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Immediately release the pressure release valve when the timer goes off.
While potatoes are cooking add butter, or buttery sticks, and crushed garlic to a small saucepan. Saute over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until garlic is slightly browned.
Using a potato masher, or a large fork, mash potatoes until your desired consistency is reached.
Add garlic-butter, rosemary, thyme, and salt, to taste. Mix until well combined.
Serve mashed potatoes with parsley or additional rosemary and thyme. Enjoy!
- Feel free to use Yukon or russet potatoes if that is what you have on hand.
- Vegetable or chicken broth helps give the mashed potatoes extra flavor. Feel free to use water if that is what you have, but make sure to add additional salt and seasonings.