Homemade Italian Seasoning is the perfect recipe to create authentic dishes from your own kitchen. You only need 5 minutes and a few everyday herbs and spices to make this homemade blend. This quick and easy DIY mix is excellent on chicken and pasta.
Do you want to add a TON of herbs to your Italian dishes, but hesitate to pull out a ton of spice jars every time?
I’m totally with you!
There’s a super easy way you can make your own homemade Italian seasoning and it takes less than 5 minutes.
Pull out all of those jars one time, whisk it together, and store it for up to a year or two.
And when you’re ready to add that Italian flair to your dishes, pull out your seasoning mix and quickly grab a teaspoon or two!
What is Italian Seasoning?
Italian seasoning is a blend that contains many of the common Italian ground herbs. Oregano, basil, and parsley are some of the primary herbs with rosemary, thyme, or coriander oftentimes being in the mix, too.
While it can be used as a substitute for Greek seasoning, it will make your finished dish taste slightly different. You can buy it at the store (McCormick’s is a great store bought one!) or you can make it at home.
If bought in the store you will want to make sure you double-check the label. Some store bought mixes may contain sugar, gluten, MSG, or other stabilizers and anti-caking agents.
However, if you make this version at home you can be sure it is gluten-free, sugar-free, and can easily be made to have low or no sodium.
The simple ingredients you need for this seasoning blend are likely in your spice cabinet already and include:
- Oregano. Sometimes called marjoram, oregano is essential for an Italian dish.
- Basil. Sweet and earthy, dried basil rounds out the flavor of this spice mix.
- Parsley. This clean, savory, and somewhat bitter herb is easy to find at any grocery store.
- Rosemary. Aromatic and flavorful, this plant adds depth and earthiness to any recipe you use it in.
- Thyme. It is often described as sweet and peppery with a hint of lemon.
- Garlic powder. This forms the base of the seasoning blend and is a must.
- Red pepper flakes. Optional, but can be added to give the mix a bit of spice.
How to Make Homemade Italian Seasoning
These are the easy steps to follow to make your own homemade Italian seasoning blend:
Making Italian seasoning at home is quite simple and requires a few easy-to-find ground spices and dried herbs. While you can make some substitutions, if necessary, be sure to use oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic powder.
Once you’ve gathered up all of your ingredients, add them to a medium-sized bowl or the container you will be storing them in.
Whisk ingredients until well combined.
When storing homemade seasoning mixes it is best to place them in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry space.
A spice cabinet or a dry pantry will work great. Avoid storing them over the stove as this location gets really hot and humid.
You do not want too much open air space in the container, so choose one that the mix just barely fits into.
Traditionally, Italian seasoning is made from a variety of herbs and spices, in particular oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, and garlic.
If you don’t have Italian seasoning or all the ingredients to make your own, simply use an equal amount of dried basil and oregano for an authentic flavor.
Italian seasoning can be used on so many things! Sprinkle it on protein like chicken, flavor soups with it, or use it on veggies.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Keep it dry. Stay away from fresh herbs as the spice mix will not last long and it won’t be as flavorful.
- Kick it up. Add some red pepper flakes for some spice if you like.
- Cool off. Store this Italian herb blend in a dry spot away from heat to make it last the longest.
- Airtight. Be sure to keep this mix fresh by using a sealed container.
- Get creative. Use this blend as a marinade, in pasta salad, or on veggies!
More Homemade Spice Mixes
Try one of these simple and delicious homemade seasoning blends next:
Recipes that Use Italian Seasoning
There are so many different ways you can use this Italian seasoning blend once you’ve got it mixed together. A few of my favorite recipes to use it in include:
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Homemade Bruschetta
- Pasta Primavera
- Zucchini Lasagna Rollups
- Baked Zucchini Fries
- Eggplant Parmesan
Italian Seasoning Recipe
Homemade Italian Seasoning is the perfect recipe to create authentic dishes from your own kitchen. You only need 5 minutes and a few everyday herbs and spices to make this homemade blend.
- 1 Tbsp. oregano dried
- 1 Tbsp. basil dried
- 1 Tbsp. parsley dried
- 2 tsp. rosemary dried
- 2 tsp. thyme dried
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ – 1 tsp. red pepper flakes optional
Add all ingredients to a medium-sized bowl.
Whisk until combined.
Store seasoning mix in an airtight container 1-2 years in a cool dry place.
Meal Prep and Storage
- To Prep-Ahead: This recipe is super simple to make in advance.
- To Store: When stored properly in an airtight container away from heat and moisture, this Italian seasoning blend will last for up to 1-2 years.