Make your own homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing with this easy 5 minute recipe! Just 3 ingredients, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a natural sweetener are combined to create the best healthy salad dressing. This simple vegan dressing is great for adding flavor to salads, steak, chicken, and vegetables.
Have you ever made a homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing?
We are big fans. One of our favorite ways to use it is in a spinach salad with toasted pecans and cranberries.
You would think that after a while we would get tired of it, but no!
That sweet and tangy dressing is so easy to make and tastes incredible. Plus, it’s so much healthier for you to make at home versus buying it from the store.
There are a few spectacular qualities about this recipe:
- It can be used as a salad dressing or pour it over your favorite steak or chicken recipe.
- 3 ingredients and 5 minutes is all it takes.
- It stores for an INCREDIBLY long time!
If you can’t get enough of the freshness of homemade salad dressing, don’t stop at this recipe! Try this Honey Mustard Dressing, Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing, Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette, and these other Healthy Salad Dressing Recipes.
And if you want a more condensed and sauce-like consistency, try out this Balsamic Reduction recipe.
The ingredients needed to make this easy balsamic vinaigrette dressing include:
- Balsamic Vinegar. As the star of the show, you want to make sure you choose a high quality vinegar. Read more about what type below.
- Oil. Use a better quality olive oil for the best results. Avocado oil will also work great in this recipe.
- Sweetener. Either honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar can all be used in equal amounts. You can also substitute a few drops of liquid stevia extract if you’re on a low-carb or keto diet.
- Salt. This isn’t necessary but can improve the taste. Be cautious not to overdo it, a little bit goes a long way!
- Optional Add-ins. Enhance the flavor with fresh rosemary or thyme, a clove of crushed garlic, pepper, or even lemon juice.
Best Balsamic Vinegar
Since there are so few ingredients in this recipe, each individual ingredient plays a HUGE role… especially the balsamic vinegar.
While yes, you can opt for a cheaper one (totally guilty here!) you might need to add a little extra sweetener to balance out the bitterness. However, I would advise that you spring for a mid to higher-quality balsamic vinegar to get the best taste.
A few brands to try:
How to Make Balsamic Vinaigrette
The steps for making this balsamic vinaigrette recipe are simple to follow:
- Add all ingredients to a High Speed Blender, Mini Food Processor, bowl, or mason jar.
A NutriBullet is the easiest way as it blends and emulsifies everything up beautifully and is super quick to clean.
- Blend, process, whisk or shake until ingredients are well incorporated.
This should take 20-30 seconds in a blender or processor. Hand mixing will work, but the dressing will not be as smooth and emulsified.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
Pour into an airtight container such as a mason jar. Shake before serving.
Meal Prep and Storage
- To Prep-Ahead: This dressing is great for making in advance so it’s always ready to go.
- To Store: Seal in an airtight container like these cute glass mason jars in the refrigerator. If only oil, vinegar, and honey or maple syrup are used it will last for 3-4 months. If perishables are added, it will keep for up to 2-4 weeks.
- To Freeze: It is not recommended as the ingredients will separate.
Yes. Homemade balsamic vinaigrette is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy-free, and vegan. Check the label on store-bought as gluten or animal products may be used.
This dressing consists of balsamic vinegar, oil, and a sweetener.
Yes. Vinegar is simply made from grapes. Vinaigrette is a salad dressing that features balsamic vinegar as an ingredient along with oil and possibly a sweetener.
There are many uses for this flavorful dressing. In addition to topping salads, you can use it as a marinade, or drizzle over chicken, steak, fish, or even roasted veggies.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Use high end. Better quality ingredients will result in the tastiest results.
- Go low-carb. Substitute liquid stevia extract for honey, maple syrup, or agave.
- Blend on high. Using a food processor or blender will make a smoother dressing than simply hand mixing.
- Add flavor. Toss in some fresh herbs, garlic, pepper, or lemon juice.
- Do more than salad. Marinate chicken, or drizzle over grilled steak or veggies.
Recipes that Use Balsamic Vinaigrette
Now that you’ve made your own homemade balsamic vinaigrette, it’s time to enjoy! Try it on any of the following recipes:
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe
Make your own homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing with this 5 minute recipe! This quick and easy vegan dressing is great for adding flavor to salads, steak, chicken, and vegetables.
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey
- Pinch of salt optional
Alternatively, you can whisk together ingredients in a bowl or shake until incorporated in a mason jar.
Store balsamic vinaigrette dressing in refrigerator for up to 3-4 months between servings. Enjoy!
- You can use a mini-prep food processor, NutriBullet blender, or a Vitamix with similar results.
- Each serving is roughly 2 tablespoons of salad dressing.
- To Store: Seal in an airtight container like these cute glass mason jars in the refrigerator. If only oil, vinegar, and honey or maple syrup are used it will last for 3-4 months. If perishables are added keep for up to 2-4 weeks.