There’s no question—Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats will make you want to jump out of bed! This healthy recipe is made with fresh apples, rolled oats, natural sweetener, milk and is the best way to start your morning. Once you know how to make this dish, it’s easy to prep the night before and have breakfast ready to go the next day.
Delicious Apple Overnight Oats
There are two types of people in this world… Those that hop out of bed and love to enjoy the early AM hours, and those that like to snooze until the last minute and grab their pre-made jar of apple cinnamon overnight oats from the refrigerator.
On most mornings I am the first type of person, but then there are those that I am definitely the latter.
It is so simple to mix up the crispy apples, natural sweetener, milk of your choice, and rolled oats the night before. Then, grab them out of the fridge the next day.
That’s one less thing to worry about on busy mornings!
Be sure to check out How to Make Overnight Oats to completely personalize this with your favorite add-ins.
To make apple pie overnight oats you will need these simple ingredients:
- Oats. Stick with old-fashioned rolled oats for the best results. They keep their texture after soaking and don’t get mushy like quick oats tend to do, or stay hard like steel cut oats. You can also look for certified gluten-free oats brand if needed.
- Milk. You can use your favorite variety of milk. Cashew and oat milks are my go-tos since they are super creamy and taste really good in this recipe. But almond milk, soy milk, and regular milk can all be used.
- Apple. You will need to finely dice an apple, and any variety will work. However, similar to an apple pie, different types will affect the texture and flavor. Opt for mildly sweet yet crisp apples.
- Sweetener. Either pure maple syrup (NOT the pancake syrup type) or honey will work and are more natural than processed sugars. But you can use brown sugar or coconut sugar if you’d like.
- Cinnamon. Ground cinnamon adds a delicious fall flavor to this recipe.
- Chia Seeds. Though not necessary, chia seeds add so many health benefits and improve the texture.
- Optional add-ins. The sky really is the limit! Everything from yogurt to protein powder can be added to increase health benefits and flavor.
Pro Tip: The only milk that is NOT recommended is coconut milk. This will give your oats a pretty strong coconut flavor.
How to Make Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
The process of making this apple cinnamon overnight oatmeal recipe is relatively simple and consists of the following steps:
Add the Apples to the Jar
Be sure to use 8-ounce jars when making this recipe. They are easy to find and perfectly fit one serving of overnight oats.
Add the diced apples to the bottom of the jar and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place it in the microwave for about 60 seconds, until the apples are soft.
Combine Remaining Ingredients
Pour the oats, chia seeds, milk, and sweetener into the jar with the tender apple mixture.
Use a spoon to stir the mixture until everything is well combined.
Refrigerate to Set
Place the lid on the jar and set it in the fridge.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Meal Prep & Storage
- To prep and store: It is so easy to make this dish the day before. After combining the ingredients, it will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days. Be aware that the texture will be affected with each day that passes and become mushy after 24 hours. If you’d like to work more than a day ahead, combine everything except the milk, saving that step for the night before serving.
- To freeze: Freezing is not recommended as it will affect the texture and the oats will become watery.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Oatmeal in general is a very healthy option for breakfast. These good-for-you carbs fill you up and are full of nutritional benefits. Be aware of any add-ins you include as these can increase both calories and sugar, which affect how healthy this dish is.
How long do overnight oats last?
While basic overnight oats are best enjoyed within 24 hours of making, they can sit in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days. After the first day, the consistency will become mushier. However, you can combine everything except the milk a few days in advance and simply finish the recipe the night before enjoying it.
Do I serve overnight oats warm or cold?
The beauty of this apple cinnamon overnight oats recipe is that it can be enjoyed either hot or cold! Just grab the prepared jar out of the fridge first thing in the morning and enjoy as is, or heat it up in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. You might need to add a little milk to get the consistency you like.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Roll it out. Rolled oats are the best variety for a creamy and smooth texture.
- Save dishes. Mix everything in the jar so you have less to clean.
- Don’t skip the add-ins. Extra ingredients like yogurt, protein powder, spices, or nuts will enhance the flavor and health benefits of the oatmeal.
- Chill out. These oats need at least 4 hours in the fridge to achieve the best consistency.
- Make extra. Mix up a big batch of these overnight oats to enjoy this cold oatmeal for another day.
- Get creative. Try other flavor combinations with different spices and add-ins.
Other Overnight Oats Recipes
If you love this dish, you have to try these other overnight oats recipes.
Pumpkin Overnight Oats are the perfect, flavorful breakfast for a fall morning.
For a sweet dish, try these Peanut Butter Overnight Oats.
More Apple Recipes
Apples are such a versatile fruit! These healthy recipes are the best ways to use them.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
There's no question—Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats will make you want to jump out of bed! This healthy recipe is made with fresh apples, rolled oats, natural sweetener, and milk and is the best way to start your morning.
- ⅓ cup apple finely diced
- ½ cup oats old-fashioned, rolled, gluten-free if needed
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- ½ cup milk oat, soy, or nut-based milk
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
Add the diced apples and cinnamon to an 8-oz. glass Mason jar. Microwave for 60 seconds, or until the apples begin to soften.
Add the oats, chia seeds, milk, and sweetener to the jar. Stir the oats with the liquid until well combined.
Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Serve with additional diced apple and cinnamon.
Meal Prep & Storage
- To prep and store apple cinnamon overnight oats: It is so easy to make this dish the day before. After combining the ingredients, it will keep in the refrigerator in a resealable container that is airtight for up to 3 to 4 days. Be aware that the texture will be affected with each day that passes an become mushy after 24 hours. If you’d like, combine everything except the milk, saving that for the night before serving.
- To freeze apple cinnamon overnight oats: Freezing is not recommended as it will affect the texture and they will become watery.