Buffalo Cauliflower Bites are an easy, healthy, low-carb, gluten-free, Paleo, and vegan alternative to your traditional chicken wings to serve up on game day. This buffalo cauliflower recipe gets baked in the oven for super crispy and flavorful cauliflower “wings” that are worthy of being a Super Bowl party appetizer!
Celebrating the Super Bowl with Buffalo Cauliflower!
It has been said before, but I will say it again… Super Bowl, to me, is ALL about the food!! Sincere apologies if that offends any of you football fanatics out there!
But to be honest, I get a little bit too distracted talking to friends and family while shoving my face full of Parmesan & Garlic Chicken Wings, Buffalo Chicken Celery Sticks, or these Buffalo Cauliflower Bites! Are you like this, too?
While meat and chicken are awesome, it’s nice to change up your typical buffalo chicken wings every once in a while and turn them into a vegan-friendly version of cauliflower buffalo wings. Chances are, at least a few people at the party will be SUPER grateful to have a meat-free appetizer to enjoy! (And bonus: they’re gluten-free and Paleo, too!)
Below you will learn how to make buffalo cauliflower bites, what type of hot sauce to use when making buffalo sauce, the best way to serve this baked buffalo cauliflower, and how to reheat if you happen to have any leftover.
How to Make Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Making crispy buffalo cauliflower bites is a rather easy process and consists of a few steps:
- Prep the head of cauliflower by cutting it into bite-sized florets. (See picture above.)
Cook’s Tip: Err on the side of cutting them a little larger versus smaller so they stay crispy.
- Whisk together the “batter” that is made from almond flour, tapioca flour, and coconut flour.
Cook’s Tip: You can also use 2/3 cup of a Paleo baking blend or all purpose flour.
- Combine the cauliflower florets with the “batter” and then place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cauliflower in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes before combining with the buffalo sauce.
- Toss the baked cauliflower with the buffalo sauce and return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until buffalo cauliflower bites are crispy.
How to Make Buffalo Sauce
Buffalo wing sauce is an easy sauce to make and normally consists of hot sauce, butter, and a bit of garlic powder and salt.
Three hot sauce brands that work well in this buffalo sauce recipe include:
- Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce – personal preference.
- Crystal Hot Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce (not Paleo since sugar is added.)
Once you have your hot sauce you will simply whisk it together with two tablespoons of melted butter, of vegan “butter” sticks, garlic powder, and salt. When cauliflower florets are done cooking, toss them together with the buffalo wing sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until crispy.
You can also use this buffalo sauce recipe on regular chicken breasts or on chicken wings, too!
Serving Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
Much like regular buffalo chicken wings, these buffalo cauliflower “wings” can be served with celery sticks, ranch dressing and/or blue cheese dressing. Since the buffalo cauliflower bites are on the spicy side, the ranch and blue cheese dressings help to tone down the spice level.
Your guests can either use a serving spoon to put them on their appetizer plate or you can lay out some cute bamboo party forks. They will be able to grab a buffalo cauliflower bite and go back to watching the football game with ease.
This buffalo cauliflower bites recipe is definitely a little more temperature sensitive than most. Once cooled down, these buffalo cauliflower bites start to lose a lot of their crispiness and can get a bit soggy. So if you can avoid it, I would suggest making them the DAY OF your party.
My best advice to you if you would like to prep ahead for a Super Bowl party or game day get-together is to:
- Chop your cauliflower into florets,
- Mix up your flours and seasonings (without the water) and store at room temperature,
- Whisk together your buffalo sauce and store it in your refrigerator.
Doing these steps ahead of time will save you about 20 minutes on the day of the party!
Storing and Reheating:
If you end up with quite a bit of leftovers the best way to store them is to lay them in a single layer in a large plastic container. Place pieces of wax paper between the layers to prevent them from sticking together.
Reheat these buffalo cauliflower bites by returning them to a baking sheet. Bake uncovered at 350 until heated through, about 10-15 minutes. This will ensure they maintain their crispy and crunchy exterior!
Other Recipes like these Buffalo Cauliflower Bites:
If you like this recipe for your Super Bowl or football party, you might want to check out a few more appetizers like this one:
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Celery Sticks
- Individual Healthy 7-Layer Dips
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa Dip
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites Recipe
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites are a healthy, low-carb, gluten-free, keto, Paleo, and vegan alternative to your traditional chicken wings to serve up on game day.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together water, almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add cauliflower florets and toss until well coated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread cauliflower out in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While cauliflower is baking combine hot sauce, melted butter, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Combine baked cauliflower and buffalo sauce in a large bowl and toss to combine. Return cauliflower back to the parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve buffalo cauliflower bites immediately with ranch dressing, vegan if needed, and celery sticks and enjoy!
- Frank’s hot sauce, Crystal hot sauce, and Sriracha sauce (not Paleo!) all work in this recipe.
- Can use vegan “butter” sticks if vegan or dairy-free.