Making Buffalo Wing Sauce at home is so quick and easy to do! You’ll only need 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to whisk together this spicy and buttery sauce recipe from scratch. Easily make a double-batch of this low-carb sauce and store it in the refrigerator so it’s ready to use when your next chicken wings craving strikes.
Buffalo Wing Sauce
My friends, Super Bowl Sunday is almost upon us.
And for me the best part of the Super Bowl isn’t the football.
It’s not the halftime show or even the fun commercials.
Oh no! It’s actually the spread of finger foods, dips, and appetizers.
Especially the Buffalo Chicken Wings.
And those wings wouldn’t be complete without a spicy and bold buffalo wing sauce to douse them in. (And then lick off of your fingers after you’re done munching!)
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo wing sauce recipes can be made with lots of variations, but most are sauces made from hot sauce and butter.
Some recipes have other ingredients in them depending on the exact flavor. (Like vinegar or Worcestershire sauce.)
Classic buffalo wing sauce is not just bottled hot sauce. It’s actually a combination of bottled hot sauce and a fat to balance out the spice and make the delicious and creamy sauce we all know and love.
While you can go crazy and add in a ton of different ingredients, the one you’ll find here is a great basic recipe without a lot of flufy.
You’ll only need 4 ingredients with an optional fifth. That’s it!
To make this easy buffalo sauce recipe you need:
- Butter. Melting the butter will make it easier to whisk the ingredients together. If you are vegan, use a vegan butter substitute. You can also use olive oil – it doesn’t get as creamy, but it will still give you that rich taste and luxurious mouth feel.
- Hot sauce. You want to use your favorite hot sauce in this recipe. I will go more in detail on the best hot sauces to use below.
- Garlic. A little bit of garlic goes a long way to add even more flavor to this recipe. Don’t want to use fresh garlic? Substitute ½ teaspoon of dried garlic powder instead.
- Salt. Yet again, a little goes a very long way. Most hot sauces are a bit salty so make sure you taste between each small addition.
- Honey. This is totally optional and it tastes great with or without it. But if you don’t mind a few extra carbs, the floral sweetness really helps to balance out the spicy flavors. You can also use agave nectar or pure maple syrup if vegan.
Best Hot Sauce to Use
Not all hot sauces are created equal! You’ll find lots of variety between different brands in flavor, heat level, and sweetness.
The best hot sauces for this recipe are:
- Frank’s RedHot Sauce. Frank’s is the classic hot sauce used in most homemade wing sauce recipes. The Original flavor was used when testing this recipe because it is a tad bit spicier. You can also use the Buffalo flavor if you prefer a little less spice.
- Crystal Hot Sauce. This is a Louisiana style hot sauce with a brighter, sweeter flavor than the others.
- Sriracha sauce. If you want to do an Asian style wing this is the hot sauce for you. Be aware that it is a bit spicier and sweeter than the other ones mentioned.
How to Make
Once you’ve got all of your ingredients gathered together, the recipe will take less than 5 minutes to make!
To make this easy homemade buffalo sauce recipe:
- Melt butter in a medium-sized, microwave safe bowl.
- Add preferred hot sauce, garlic, and salt.
- Whisk ingredients until well combined and a smooth sauce forms.
That’s it! Now you can either pour it over your favorite air fryer chicken wings or store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Is this buffalo sauce recipe spicy?
Buffalo sauce normally has a medium heat level. (About a 5 out of 10.)
Can I adjust the heat level? If so, how?
Yes, you can adjust the heat level. There are a lot of ways to do that.
You can make it milder by using a milder hot sauce or by using less.
If you want it spicier, add a dash or so of cayenne pepper. You can also use a spicier hot sauce.
How long does it last?
Buffalo wing sauce will last for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator if you store it in an airtight container.
How do you store it?
Store sauce in an airtight container or glass mason jar in the refrigerator.
Can I make this ahead of time?
How much buffalo sauce does this recipe make?
This recipe makes enough to coat two pounds of wings or meatballs. Need more than that? This recipe easily doubles.
Buffalo Sauce Recipes
Try this sauce on a few of these easy recipes:
- Homemade Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Celery Sticks
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe
Making Buffalo Wing Sauce at home is so quick and easy to do! You'll only need 4 ingredients and 5 minutes to whisk together this spicy and buttery sauce recipe. Easily make a double-batch of this low-carb sauce and store it in the refrigerator so it's ready to use when your next chicken wings craving strikes!
- ½ cup hot sauce such as Frank's Original
- 6 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 Tbsp. honey optional
- ¼ tsp. salt to taste
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together ingredients until smooth.
Store buffalo sauce for up to 1 week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This recipe makes enough sauce for 3 pounds of wings or meatballs.
- Recipe yields 1 cup of sauce.
- Nutritional information is for 1 tablespoon of sauce and is calculated without honey.
- A vegan butter substitute can be used to make this recipe dairy-free and vegan.
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder can be substituted for the fresh garlic.