Want a few other easy pineapple recipes? You might also enjoy this Piña Colada Recipe, Pineapple BBQ Chicken, Slow Cooker Pineapple Pulled Pork Tacos and this Pineapple Salsa.
Pineapple Chicken for Every Occasion
It’s not very often that as I am sitting here typing up a blog post I also happen to be EATING that exact same dish…
But that’s the case today with this simple Pineapple Chicken recipe!
You might call it a fluke, but considering I have made this dish AT LEAST 5 times since first creating the recipe, it’s really not a huge shocker.
This stir-fry has been made for me and the hubby, brought to some friends after having their newborn, and was just recently brought up to the band while they were recording at the studio.
And the general consensus – everyone absolutely LOVES this quick and easy 30-minute pineapple chicken recipe!
Easy Pineapple Chicken – in ONE Pan!
Not only is this recipe ready in under 30 minutes, but it is also made in ONE pan.
So yes, your dinner is ready-to-eat and is piping hot when you are!
The ingredients needed for this quick asian-inspired recipe are easy-to-find and on the healthier side.
- Pineapple – Canned pineapple with no added sugar is used in the recipe, however, you can also use fresh if that is what you happen to have.
- Chicken – ButcherBox is my ultimate source for organic, free-range chicken that tastes incredible! Also, chicken breasts are used in this recipe and are the easiest to work with.
- Vegetables – Bell peppers and onions are used to bump up the nutritional value in this recipe. Read below to see a few other ideas you might like to try!
- Pineapple Marinade – A sweet and tangy marinade is made to coat the chicken and vegetables.
The majority of the flavor in this dish comes from the marinade that also doubles as a sauce.
While most people associate pineapple chicken with being on the super sweet side, this recipe has a nice balance of sweet and tangy. So even the people who don’t normally like sweet mixed with savory will enjoy this stir-fry!
How to Make Pineapple Chicken Marinade:
- Combine pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, ketchup, gluten-free soy sauce or Tamari sauce, lime juice, coconut sugar, and salt in a high-speed blender (such as a Nutribullet) or a food processor.
- A Nutribullet is my personal preference since it is relatively simple to clean.
- You can also substitute brown or white sugar for the coconut sugar.
- Blend marinade for 20-30 seconds or until smooth.
- Use ½ cup for the chicken marinade and reserve the remaining for the sticky sauce.
How to Make
This recipe will come together in under 30 minutes and makes a great quick and simple weeknight dinner recipe.
- Tenderize chicken by pounding to 1-inch thick and then cutting into 1-inch cubes.*
- Combine chicken and ½ cup pineapple marinade in a large ziplock bag or bowl. Marinade for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet over medium heat with bell peppers and onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until veggies are almost tender. Add ½ teaspoon salt and stir until well combined.
- Remove veggies from skillet and add marinaded chicken cubes. Cook for 6-7 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add remaining sauce, vegetables, and pineapple chunks and cook for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
*Cook’s Tip: If doing this inside, simply place a piece of wax or parchment paper overtop to prevent chicken juice from splattering all over your kitchen.
Change up the Vegetables
Maybe you’re not a huge fan of red onion, or you don’t have two different colored bell peppers on hand – that’s totally OK! Here are a few other vegetables you can try out:
- Sweet Onion
- Green Beans
Would you like to know how to meal prep this pineapple chicken, what to serve it with, or the best way to store it? Read below to find out the answers to these frequently asked questions!
How to Meal Prep?
If meal prepping this recipe you will want to cut your vegetables no more than 3 days in advance. Place them in a large ziplock bag or in a storage container until ready to cook.
Blend pineapple sauce and prepare chicken breasts but do not combine them until at least 2-3 hours in advance. You do not want the chicken sitting in the acidic marinade for more than a few hours otherwise it will begin to get a mealy texture.
How to Serve?
There are numerous ways to serve this stir-fry. Our personal preference is to serve it over a bed of white rice or coconut milk rice so it sops up all of that deliciously sticky pineapple sauce.
However, if you are limiting grains or carbs you can always opt to serve it over cauliflower rice, by itself, or in lettuce wraps.
How to Store?
So you’ve made the recipe and did not eat quite as much as you expected.
That’s totally OK and actually a great place to be – because this Asian-inspired pineapple chicken stores and reheats fabulously.
Storing in the Refrigerator – Make sure this dish comes to room temperature before storing in containers in the refrigerator. Pineapple chicken will last for 3-4 days if stored properly.
Can I Freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze this chicken recipe!
Simply place it in a freezer-safe container with a layer of wax paper on top. Chill until it reaches refrigerator temperature and within 24 hours transfer it to the freezer.
You can freeze this recipe for up to 3-6 months.
Skillet Chicken Dinner Recipes
Honey BBQ Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
Easy Skillet Bruschetta Chicken and Asparagus
Easy Pineapple Chicken Recipe
This Easy Pineapple Chicken Recipe is the best way to enjoy a takeout favorite at home. It is made in one pan with canned pineapple chunks, cubed chicken, vegetables, and a sticky-sweet yet slightly-tangy sauce.
- 1 ¼ lb. chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 15-oz. can pineapple chunks divided
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Tamari sauce or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt divided
- 2 bell peppers cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red onion cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil or olive oil
- Green onions optional
- Sesame seeds optional
Pound chicken to 1-inch thick and cut into 1-inch cubes.
In a high-speed blender or food processor add ¾ cup pineapple chunks, pineapple juice, ketchup, Tamari sauce, lime juice, sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt. Blend for 20-30 seconds, or until smooth.
Add cubed chicken and ½ cup of pineapple marinade to a large bowl or a ziplock bag. Toss until chicken is well coated. Reserve remaining marinade.
Marinade chicken in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
While chicken is marinading, add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet over medium heat with bell peppers and onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until veggies are almost tender. Add ½ teaspoon salt and stir until well combined.
Remove veggies from skillet and add marinaded chicken cubes. Cook for 6-7 minutes or until chicken is almost cooked through.
Add reserved marinade, veggies, and remaining pineapple that has been finely diced to the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
Serve Pineapple Chicken over rice or cauliflower rice with green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Nutrition facts are calculated without rice.
- You can also substitute brown sugar or regular sugar for the coconut sugar.
Meal Prep and Storage
- To Prep Ahead: If meal prepping this delicious dinner, you will want to cut your vegetables no more than 3 days in advance. Place them in a large ziplock bag or in a storage container until ready to cook. Blend pineapple sauce and prepare chicken breasts but do not combine them until at least 2-3 hours in advance. You do not want the chicken sitting in the acidic marinade for more than a few hours otherwise it will begin to get a mealy texture.
- To Store: Place this leftover chicken dish in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 to 4 days.
- To Freeze: Simply place it in a freezer-safe container with a layer of wax paper on top. Chill until it reaches refrigerator temperature and within 24 hours transfer it to the freezer. You can freeze this chicken for up to 3 to 4 months in a freezer-safe container.
- To Reheat: Reheat the chicken in a skillet over medium-low heat, just long enough to warm it through. Keep it covered with a lid to help the dish retain heat and moisture.
Leave a Reply