Shredded Chicken Tacos are full of salsa chicken that is made with taco seasoning in either the Crock-Pot or the Instant Pot. This easy recipe is loaded with tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro and makes a quick, simple, gluten-free Mexican dinner that can easily be meal prepped for busy weeks!
Would you like a few other healthy taco recipes? You might also enjoy these Easy Blackened Shrimp Tacos, Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos, Blackened Fish Tacos, and these Instant Pot Tacos al Pastor.
Shredded Chicken Tacos – A New Food Group!
Tacos are considered a food group in our house.
Whether whipping up a batch of steak fajitas, loading tortillas with veggies, or serving up these shredded chicken tacos for a game night…
At least once a week they are on the menu!
I could probably blame it on our 4-year stint in San Antonio where homemade corn tortillas were abundant.
Or perhaps it’s due to my growing up on the Texas-Louisiana border where Tex-Mex is the only type of restaurant everyone can agree on for Sunday lunch.
Yes… my love of tacos runs deep.
The BEST Chicken Tacos
Just recently this Instant Pot Shredded Salsa Chicken post went live, which is a rendition of this Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken.
While yes, you can serve this yummy chicken atop a humongous burrito bowl or on your favorite taco salad.
This tender, shredded meat tastes the absolute BEST when it is loaded into tacos.
The ingredients needed for this recipe are relatively easy-to-find and have a lot of different options for substitutions.
- Chicken – Read more below about how to make the best shredded salsa chicken.
- Tortillas – Corn, flour, or cassava flour can all be used.
- Taco Seasoning – This gives our chicken the bulk of its flavor and can either be homemade or store bought.
- Tomatoes – Vine-ripened tomatoes or cherry tomatoes can be used.
- Red Onion – Sweet onion is another great option.
- Cilantro – Not a fan? Simply leave it off!
- Cotija cheese – This is the more authentic cheese and is a little salty, but cheddar or Monterrey Jack can also be substituted.
- Limes – Totally optional but gives the meal a nice freshness.
Instant Pot or Crock-Pot
When making these tacos, you have the option of either cooking the chicken in either an Instant Pot or in a Crock-Pot.
- Instant Pot Shredded Salsa Chicken – If you choose to cook your salsa chicken in the Instant Pot, or pressure cooker, it will be done and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes!
- Crock-Pot Shredded Chicken – Cooking the chicken in the Crock-Pot will definitely take a bit longer (up to 6 hours!) but is a great option for super tender meat if you don’t have an Instant Pot.
- Rotisserie Chicken – If you are in pinch and don’t have time or the equipment for either of the methods above, you can always grab a rotisserie chicken and shred it up!
- Just make sure you toss it in a little salsa and taco seasoning to give it some flavor.
Corn or Flour Tortillas
These tacos will taste incredible on a few different kinds of tortillas.
Here are a few types you can try depending on your dietary preference:
- Corn – My personal pick and is what was used here today. These are also great for those that are gluten-free.*
- Flour – These will also taste amazing but are not gluten-free.
- Cassava Flour – Want to make these even more special? Make a batch of these Cassava Flour Tortillas from scratch to make these tacos completely Paleo!
*Cook’s Tip: Warm up corn tortillas in a bit of coconut oil to give them some extra flavor and pliability.
How to Make
These are the general steps for making this recipe:
Prepare one batch of either Instant Pot shredded salsa chicken or Crock-Pot shredded chicken.
- Cut vegetables for toppings.
Heat up corn tortillas in a skillet with coconut oil for 30-45 seconds per side.
Place tortillas on a paper towel to let excess oil drain off and repeat until all are warmed.
Fill each tortilla with 2 ounces of chicken, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, and cheese. Enjoy!
Meal Prep Tips
This recipe is a great dinner idea to meal prep for busy weeks.
Here are a few ways you can prep-ahead so the weeknights are a bit easier!
- Cook salsa chicken. Chicken will last for up to 3-4 days if stored in the refrigerator.
- Finely dice red onion, tomatoes, and cilantro. Store these in a separate container from the chicken.
- Make a batch of Instant Pot Mexican Rice to serve alongside the tacos.
When ready to eat simply warm up the tortillas and dice an avocado to serve!
Storing, Freezing, and Reheating
Storing: If you have leftovers, store the chicken and topping ingredients separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Chicken will freeze well in a freezer-safe bag for up to 4-6 months. Do not freeze tortillas or topping ingredients.
Reheating: When ready to enjoy the leftovers, heat up the chicken in a saucepan or microwave and warm up the tortillas in a skillet.
Other Mexican Dinner Ideas:
Baked Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Ground Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
Shredded Chicken Tacos are full of salsa chicken that is made with taco seasoning in either the Crock-Pot or the Instant Pot. This easy shredded chicken taco recipe is loaded with tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro and makes a quick, simple, gluten-free Mexican dinner that can easily be meal prepped for busy weeks!
- 1.5 lbs. Instant Pot salsa shredded chicken*
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 jalapeños thinly slices
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- ½ cup cilantro finely chopped
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes finely diced
- 2 large avocados cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 oz. Cotija cheese
- 2 limes optional
Prepare one batch of either Instant Pot shredded chicken or Crock-Pot shredded chicken.
In a large skillet over medium-low heat add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 3-4 tortillas. Heat up for 30-45 seconds per side.
Place tortillas on a paper towel to let excess oil drain off and repeat with remaining tortillas.
Fill each tortilla with 2 ounces of shredded chicken, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, and cheese. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is calculated for one taco.
- This Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken recipe or a rotisserie chicken with a bit of salsa and taco seasoning can also be used.
- You can also make or buy Cassava Flour Tortillas and leave off the cheese to make this recipe Paleo.
Leave a Reply