My mother-in-law and I had the most amazing Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken dish at a popular restaurant a few weeks ago. After a few attempts, this low-carb and gluten-free skillet chicken recipe was on our table for dinner!
There is normally a small sense of angst associated with eating at an Italian restaurant. As I watch platefuls of pasta and bread carried out, I cannot help but feel a wave of envy come over me.
A few weeks ago my mother-in-law, Loree, and I went to eat at Carrabba’s while our men were away for the weekend. After a few minutes of eyeing the waiters and waitresses go by, I could feel the green monster rearing its ugly head. When Loree made the suggestion to order for us I happily obliged.
“Doug and I always get the Chicken Bryan when we eat here,” she said.
Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken… hmmm. Sounds pretty good. “But it could never compare to those heaping piles of gluten I see on every table,” my inner monster declared.
I soon realized that if there was ever a dish that could not only compare to but could completely knock the socks off of a pasta dish… it was this Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken.
The first bite I took was full of juicy chicken, mild goat cheese, fresh basil and the most delightful lemon and butter sauce. There was complete silence at our table for at least five minutes. (If you have ever seen Loree and myself together you know this is quite an anomaly.)
As soon as I was back home I rushed to the grocery store to get the necessary ingredients. Sundried tomatoes… check. Chicken… check. The best goat cheese log ever… check! Fresh basil from our garden… check, check, check!
The Importance of Goat Cheese in this Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken:
Have you ever bought goat cheese that is in a container, already crumbled? Have you ever purchased fresh goat cheese in a log? There is a HUGE difference!!
Trust me when I say, buying the right kind of goat cheese for this dish is imperative. The type of goat cheese I use in this Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken is the Montchevre Goat Cheese Log. I promise, you won’t be disappointed!!
*Some of the links in this post are affiliate links.
A Few More Pointers for this Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken
- Be sure to pound out your chicken for the most tender product.
- Follow the sauce directions carefully. Also, be sure not to bring the sauce to a boil after you add the butter at the end. Otherwise, the sauce will separate into an ugly mess.
- You can grill your chicken, if you prefer.
- This dish is best served immediately since the sauce has a tendency to separate when reheated.
Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken
Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken is a recreation of Carrabba's Chicken Bryan. Easy skillet chicken is topped with fresh goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, basil and the most delicious lemon sauce for a low-carb and gluten-free dinner recipe.
!Lemon Butter Sauce:
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken. Cook chicken until one side has been seared, about 5-6 minutes.
- Flip chicken, cover skillet with a lid, and continue cooking for 6-8 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet add garlic, onion and 2 tablespoons butter. Saute over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and lemon juice. Continue cooking over medium heat until the sauce has reduced by half. Make sure to stir occasionally. This will take 5-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and remaining 6 tablespoons of butter one tablespoon at a time. Stir well after each addition.
- Once all oil and butter has been incorporated, add ½ teaspoon of salt, sundried tomatoes and fresh basil. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken back into the skillet. Top each chicken breast with 1-1 ½ ounces fresh goat cheese. Cover skillet and let cheese melt for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken when serving and sprinkle with additional fresh basil. Enjoy!
Want more recipes like this Sun-Dried Tomato & Goat Cheese Chicken?