Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers are super filling and ultra nutritious. These vegan stuffed peppers are also dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free and make a quick & easy dinner or lunch recipe!
I’ll Give Up Meat for Vegan Stuffed Peppers
My entire 29 years of existence I have always deemed myself a meat eater.
Even a salad was never complete without at least 4 ounces of chicken on top.
Lately, however, I have begun to realize there are other sources of protein that can appease my inner protein-craving self.
For example, these black bean & quinoa stuffed bell peppers are loaded with protein.
The majority of that protein comes from the quinoa and the black beans.
What’s so Great About Quinoa in these Gluten-Free Stuffed Bell Peppers?
These black bean and quinoa stuffed peppers are so awesome because of one huge reason… quinoa is a “complete protein” and contains over 8 grams of protein/cup.
A complete protein is a food that contains all 9 essential amino acids in adequate proportions.
While there is still debate about whether or not you need to eat “incomplete proteins” with complimentary “incomplete proteins” (i.e. rice & beans), I like to make sure my body is absorbing all of the possible protein I can get!
What I love about these Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers…
These gluten-free stuffed bell peppers seriously get better with time! After sitting in our refrigerator for a few days I remembered that we still had a couple left.
I reheated one of the bell pepper halves and was delighted to discover they actually tasted BETTER than when they were first made.
So if you have patience, push a couple of these quinoa stuffed bell peppers to the back of the refrigerator and wait a couple of days.
Trust me, it’s worth it!
How Can You Evolve These Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers?
While these vegan stuffed peppers are already gluten-free, vegetarian, loaded with good-for-you, non-animal-based protein, you can always make them a bit healthier by:
- Adding more vegetables! Feel free to add some broccoli or cauliflower to the mix.
- Using organic broth, or even making your own.
- Leaving off the dairy-free cheese to reduce the fat content.
Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Black Bean & Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers are super filling and ultra nutritious. They're dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, soy-free and make a quick & easy dinner or lunch recipe!
- 4 bell peppers cut in half, seeds removed
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¾ cup onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 15- oz. can black beans drained
- 1 ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dairy-free cheese
- Cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle the inside of each bell pepper half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place bell pepper halves cut side down into a large baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- In a medium-sized pot saute 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, and garlic over medium for 3-4 minutes.
Add broth, turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Next, add quinoa and sweet potatoes to the pot. Bring ingredients to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Once quinoa and sweet potatoes are cooked, add black beans, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Toss to combine.
- Flip bell pepper halves over and fill each half with equal amounts of the quinoa mixture.
- Top each half with 2 tablespoons dairy-free cheese and return peppers to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and enjoy.